Chapter 13: A Bombshell Announcement

In the parking lot of the studio, the atmosphere was filled with a blend of anticipation and relief. The air buzzed with conversations and laughter as the moms and girls reunited, having missed Kalani and Kira during their brief hiatus in Arizona. Kalani was instantly enveloped in hugs, her face glowing with joy as Mason arrived and greeted her with a warm hug and a gentle kiss on the cheek. She beamed, clearly delighted by his affection before he slipped inside to find his mother.

"Hey, Kira, it's great to have you back," Christi said, her tone warm but tinged with concern. "We've had quite a week. Rumors have been swirling about Maddie and Melissa possibly leaving."

Kira's brow furrowed in concern. "Does Kenzie know?"

Chloe shook her head, her expression grim. "No, she doesn't."

With that, Chloe and Christi headed inside the studio with the other girls, eager to get back into the groove of their routines. Meanwhile, Jill, who had been anxiously waiting for answers, turned to Melissa, who was standing nearby.

"Melissa hasn't committed to going or staying," Jill said, trying to keep her voice steady. "Are you coming back to be part of the team?"

The other moms turned their gaze to Melissa, their faces etched with a mix of hope and apprehension. Melissa met their eyes, the weight of the moment palpable in her gaze. She took a deep breath before speaking.

"I'm leaving with my kids," Melissa announced, her voice resolute but carrying an undercurrent of sadness.

The revelation hit the group like a tidal wave. Jill's face fell, her sadness evident as she thought of Kendall, who would be devastated by Maddie's departure. Jill struggled to mask her hurt, feeling betrayed by the fact that Melissa had kept this from her. Christi and Chloe had already been clued in about Melissa's decision.

"You knew, though?" Jill asked, her voice tinged with disbelief.

Melissa sighed. "I didn't have my ducks in a row yet."

"That came across like you were hiding something," Holly added, her tone firm but compassionate.

"I wasn't hiding anything. My attorney instructed me on how to handle it," Melissa explained defensively. "And like Chloe just said, Kenzie doesn't know yet."

"So Maddie knows and Mackenzie doesn't?" Ashlee questioned, her eyebrows raised in concern.

"Kenzie needs me," Melissa said firmly. "She's only 11."

The realization sank in among the moms. They were grappling not only with the fact that Melissa and Maddie were leaving but also the impending departure of Mackenzie, which was a new and unexpected blow.

"What do you think Abby and Mason will say about this?" Jessalynn asked, her voice filled with unease.

"I think they'll be sad. They might not be expecting it, but I'll tell them before pyramid," Melissa said with a heavy heart.

With a final, heartfelt look at the other moms, Melissa walked towards the studio doors, her mind focused on the task ahead. She entered the studio and made her way to the rear office, where Abby and Mason were deep in discussion about Mason's upcoming movie.

"Hello, Ab. Hello, Mase. It's just me," Melissa announced softly as she stepped into the room.

Abby looked up, her eyes showing a mix of curiosity and concern. "Hello, Melissa."

"Hey, Mel, what's up?" Mason asked, his voice a bit more upbeat, though tinged with a hint of apprehension.

Melissa took a deep breath, trying to steady her emotions. "I just wanted to tell you two, with everything going on with Maddie and the busy schedule we've had, especially with Mason's movie coming up at the end of the first half of the season... well..."

Abby and Mason exchanged a look, sensing that something significant was about to be revealed.

"First of all, I appreciate everything you two have done for my kids, but after the first half of this season... we're going to be leaving the elite team," Melissa said, her voice cracking with emotion.

Abby and Mason stared at her, their faces a mix of surprise and sadness. The news was like a punch to the gut, and it took them a moment to fully process the weight of Melissa's announcement.

"Oh, that's interesting," Abby said quietly, trying to keep her composure.

"It is," Mason agreed, his voice betraying the emotions he was struggling to contain.

Melissa's voice wavered as she continued, "It's hard. You know how much I love the Abby Lee Dance Company."

"So the rumors were true, and we know you didn't get a chance to refute them. I bet it was one of the moms who spread them," Abby said, her voice laced with frustration.

"I wouldn't put it past them," Mason added, his tone dry but revealing his hurt.

"Right," Melissa agreed, her own sadness evident.

Abby's eyes were moist as she asked, "Our question is, Maddie's signed, sealed, and delivered to shoot the Sia movie. So she isn't doing anything else between the movie and now?"

"No," Melissa confirmed. "We've got four more competitions, and then it's over. We've been here for a long time."

Tears welled up in Abby's eyes, and Mason's face was streaked with silent tears. They both nodded, struggling to come to terms with the fact that the Zieglers, who had been such a significant part of their lives, would be leaving.

"You need to explain this," Mason said, his voice breaking. "Why didn't you tell us sooner?"

"Yeah," Abby added, her voice trembling.

Melissa wiped a tear from her cheek and said, "To tell you the truth, I didn't want to even think about it. I always wanted you to be proud of them."

"Oh, we're proud of them," Abby said, her voice choked with emotion.

"I know you are," Melissa replied, her voice a mere whisper.

After Melissa left, Abby and Mason were left alone, their emotions pouring out in silent tears. Once they had composed themselves, Mason had an idea.

"Mom, when the Zieglers' last competition comes up, I have an idea," Mason said, his voice still wavering.

"What's your idea?" Abby asked, her curiosity piqued.

Mason leaned in and whispered his plan. Abby's eyes lit up with a mix of surprise and approval. "That is a great idea."

Together, Abby and Mason emerged from the back office and joined the rest of the team in Studio A. After pyramid, Abby and Mason gathered everyone and made the announcement that Melissa, Maddie, and Mackenzie would be leaving after the first half of the season. The revelation hit the group hard. Mackenzie's eyes widened in shock as she processed that she and her sister would be leaving, her friends' faces reflecting a mixture of sadness and disbelief. The girls and moms wrapped the Zieglers in heartfelt hugs, with Chloe breaking down in tears as she clung to Maddie and Mackenzie.

The week that followed was emotionally draining for everyone involved. The weight of the impending departures cast a somber shadow over the studio. At the Fierce Dance Competition in Agoura Hills, the stakes felt even higher as the team pushed through their routines with a mix of determination and melancholy.

Maddie and Kalani's duet shone brightly, earning first place in the Teen Duet/Trio Division. Maddie and Kendall's duet captured second place, while Mackenzie and Nia's duet soared to first in the Junior Duet/Trio Division. The group routine also earned first place in the Junior Group Division, showcasing their resilience and skill even as they grappled with the emotional turbulence of the week.

As the competition wrapped up, the ALDC dressing room was a whirlwind of both triumph and sorrow. The coming weeks would be filled with a mixture of celebration and goodbyes as everyone prepared for the Zieglers' final chapter with the team.