Chapter 15: Echoes of the Past

The following week had finally arrived—it was competition day, and emotions were running high. But this wasn't just any competition. For Maddie and Mackenzie, this was their last as competitive dancers, adding a bittersweet weight to the atmosphere. The venue, Fox Riverside Theatre, was buzzing with excitement as the New York Dance Experience prepared to kick off. Abby, Mason, Gianna, the girls, the minis, and their moms had already arrived, and the rest of the ALDC (Abby Lee Dance Company) crew was making their way inside.

"The final walk, Melissa," Jessalynn said softly as the group entered the building. She glanced at Melissa, who was holding it together—for now.

Inside the dressing room, the energy shifted as Mackenzie began preparing for her solo. She'd be going up against Areana, one of the minis, a rising star who was already making waves on the team.

"How's everybody doing?" Abby asked, her voice cutting through the hum of activity. Her eyes then landed on Melissa. "Melissa, how are you holding up?"

"I'm good," Melissa replied, her voice steady but with an undertone of emotion.

"Relishing the moment?" Mason added, giving Melissa a knowing look.

Jill chimed in with her usual enthusiasm. "I think she's ecstatic!"

Melissa smiled, though there was a bit of a crack in her façade. "No, I was blubbering earlier."

Abby and Mason exchanged playful glances, rolling their eyes dramatically, but with affection.

Holly, ever the voice of reason, spoke up. "I'll say this—it's been a strange week for all of us. You two," she gestured to Abby and Melissa, "have been in some kind of denial that they're leaving. Melissa just wants everything to stay happy, but it's hard for everyone to process. The closure of something this big... moving on is never easy. Our elite team won't be the same after today."

The air in the room felt heavier, the truth in Holly's words hitting everyone.

"Are you sad, too, about Maddie and Kenzie leaving?" Jill asked, her eyes flicking toward the others.

Christi responded, "We've all expressed our feelings. It's the end of an era."

"But we still have the kids here today to focus on," Abby reminded them, ever the professional. "Mason and I have been through this before, actually. We always thought we'd move on first, and take that feeling of accomplishment with us. I remember Nationals last year, Mason going out on top—it was his last competition, and he won, even though we lost to Jeanette's team overall."

As the girls finished getting ready, Mackenzie and Areana approached Abby and Mason. Areana was nervous—after all, competing against Mackenzie was no small feat.

Mason crouched down to Areana's level, his tone encouraging but firm. "Areana, when you hit that stage, people will compare you to Mackenzie at your age. That's natural. But remember, when you're telling a story with your dance, it's more than just the moves. It takes thought, emotion, and intention. So, take the audience somewhere new, show them who you are. Because whether it's dance, acting, or modeling—someone's always watching, and the next big thing is always around the corner. You've got this."

Areana nodded, her resolve strengthening as she absorbed Mason's words.

The time had come. As the group made their way toward the audience, Abby and Mason paused by Areana's brother, Jordan, who was seated in his wheelchair, watching the hustle and bustle around him.

"Hey there, how are you doing?" Abby said warmly, crouching beside him. "I'm Areana's dance teacher, and this is my son, Mason. He's an actor, and we're both so excited you're here to cheer on your sister today. She's going to do amazing."