Chapter 8: Dancing Through Adversity

Two days later at the studio, the moms were huddled together on the bench, their attention divided between the heated argument happening in the back office and the girls in Studio A. Abby's voice was unmistakably angry, echoing through the walls as she berated one of her employees.

"Are you that idiotic to figure that out?!" Abby's voice boomed. "Get out!"

The moms exchanged worried glances. Holly leaned in, trying to catch a glimpse of the commotion. "Who is she talking to?"

"I'm not sure, but it doesn't sound like a friendly conversation," Christi said, her voice low. She watched as the employee, a young woman with a distressed expression, quickly exited the office, her shoulders hunched as if she was carrying the weight of Abby's wrath.

Melissa sighed. "You might be right about that. The stress from her legal issues is clearly taking a toll on her."

Jill nodded sympathetically. "It's been rough for Abby lately. You can see it in how she's been handling things."

"I think you might be onto something, Chlobird," Jill added, turning to Melissa. "She's been under immense pressure."

As Abby emerged from the office, she walked briskly towards the bench where the moms sat. "I just had to get rid of my girl that works here," Abby announced tersely, her face a mixture of frustration and exhaustion.

"We know you aren't the easiest person to deal with," Jill said, trying to lighten the mood but also making a point.

Abby shot her a sharp look. "Did you find a replacement?" Jessalynn asked, her tone laced with concern.

"She just exited," Abby said, her voice clipped.

"You need to find somebody and live and learn and move on," Ashlee suggested, her voice calm but firm.

Abby sighed. "Come on, the girls are already in Studio A." Without waiting for a response, she headed in that direction, the moms trailing behind her.

As they entered Studio A, the girls were already gathered, and Abby wasted no time starting the pyramid. She began by placing Brynn, Maddie, Kendall, and Kalani on the lower level. Nia and JoJo were on the middle tier, while Mackenzie was at the top.

Abby then gestured for her son to take over. "Competition this week will be at the Fierce Dance Competition in Panorama City. It's not too far from here, and it'll be held at Panorama High School. Our group routine will pay homage to one of the most legendary dancers, Bob Fosse," Mason announced. The girls applauded enthusiastically.

"The routine is called 'Bittersweet Charity,' and you'll all be wearing heels. We've also got two duets. Kendall and Kalani will be performing a jazz duet called 'Grifters.' A grifter is a con artist," Mason explained, giving Kalani a warm smile. "Kalani, I love you, but I have to ask—what's the deal with your mother?"

Kalani sighed. "She obviously doesn't want to be here."

Mason nodded sympathetically. "Hopefully, she figures it out and comes back. But for now, let's focus on the routine."

He continued, "The second duet will be Maddie and Brynn, performing a lyrical piece called 'Together as One.' All right, moms, you can head out. Girls, let's get to work."

As the moms left Studio A, Kendall and Kalani's duet was already in progress. Meanwhile, Chloe, Mason, and Gianna worked with the girls, refining the routines. Abby glanced over at Ashlee, who was still standing by the doorway.

"Ashlee, you can help me out," Abby said, her tone a mix of frustration and resignation.

Holly smirked. "Looks like your BFF is about to be put to work."