Chapter 16: Meeting the New Mini

Several weeks had passed since Maddie and Mackenzie Ziegler had taken their final bows as competitive dancers with the Abby Lee Dance Company. The air of change felt palpable, as the girls stepped into new chapters of their lives, leaving behind the rigorous world of competitive dance. Meanwhile, the creative energy surrounding Mason, Abby's son, was just beginning to flourish.

In the heart of Los Angeles, at the bustling Pershing Square subway station, where the LACMTA's Red and Purple Lines intersect, a new type of performance was unfolding—this time on the silver screen. The Red Line, winding through North Hollywood and the Civic Center, and the Purple Line, connecting Union Station with Wilshire/Western, were lifelines to the city's pulse. Soon, the Purple Line would stretch all the way to Westwood, but for now, the station buzzed with commuters and production crews alike. Among the chaos, Mason's vision was coming to life.

He stood at the helm of his film, Eclipsed Horizons, a sci-fi drama that he not only starred in but also produced, directed, and wrote. It was a project deeply personal to him—a story about survival, identity, and resilience in a dystopian future. The weight of the entire production rested on his shoulders, yet he moved through the set with a calm sense of purpose.

Mason's character, Leo Carter, was the emotional core of the story. As the lead, Leo navigated a post-apocalyptic landscape, confronting both external dangers and his own internal demons. To bring this world to life, Mason had gathered a stellar cast. Madison Pettis played Leo's love interest, a tough, resourceful character who stood by his side in the face of adversity. Dylan O'Brien took on the role of Leo's closest friend, a quick-witted ally who shared his journey. Zendaya portrayed a powerful figure who served as an enigmatic ally to Leo, while Timothee Chalamet stepped into the shoes of the mysterious and menacing antagonist. Chloe Grace Moretz added layers to the story as Leo's strong-willed sister, and Noah Schnapp brought warmth to the film as a younger, vulnerable character who looked up to Leo with admiration.

Between takes, Mason sat in his director's chair, script in hand, his mind shifting gears as he transitioned from actor to director. He reviewed the next scenes with Ian Bryce, the film's seasoned executive producer. The two discussed camera angles, the placement of lighting, and how to capture the intensity of the next scene. The hum of the set surrounded them—crews moving equipment, actors preparing in their trailers, and the constant buzz of the city that seeped into the station below. But for Mason, it was just another day on set, another step toward bringing his vision to life.

Ian, a veteran of Hollywood, admired the young filmmaker's talent and dedication. He approached Mason with a nod of approval, but his tone was casual as he relayed a message.

"Mason, just to let you know, your mother is here," Ian said, gesturing toward the entrance of the set.

Mason's face lit up with a smile. He stood up from his chair, stretching his back after hours of sitting, and turned toward where his mother, Abby Lee Miller, was walking toward him. Next to her were two newcomers—a young blonde girl with bright green eyes and a woman who looked almost identical to her, likely her mother.

"Hello, Mase," Abby greeted him with a warm smile, her voice cutting through the noise of the set.

"Hey, mom," Mason responded, moving in for a quick hug. He'd always made time for his mother, no matter how busy his schedule was. "How's everything going with you?"

"It's going great," Abby said, her eyes sparkling with pride as she took in the massive set around her. "And you? How's the movie coming along?"

Mason grinned, motioning to the bustling scene. "It's coming together really well. We're about to shoot a big scene."

Abby nodded approvingly before turning to the two figures beside her. "Mason, I'd like for you to meet the newest addition to the Abby Lee Dance Company," she said, placing a hand on the young girl's shoulder. "This is Lilliana Ketchman, but we call her Lilly—or Lilly K for short. She's 8 years old, and this is her mother, Stacey. Lilly, Stacey, this is my son Mason."

Mason knelt down to Lilly's height, offering a kind smile. "Nice to meet you, Lilly. I hear you're quite the dancer."

Lilly shyly returned the smile, fidgeting with the hem of her pink jacket. "Thank you. I really like dancing."

"You'll love it at ALDC," Mason assured her. "It's tough, but my mom knows how to bring out the best in everyone."

Stacey, standing beside Lilly, spoke up. "We've heard so much about you, Mason. It's incredible to see how far you've come—not just as a dancer, but as a director too."

"Thanks," Mason said, his eyes flicking back toward the set where the crew was preparing for the next scene. "It's been a wild ride, but I'm loving every moment of it."

Abby put a hand on Mason's shoulder. "I thought it would be great for Lilly and Stacey to come by today, see how things run outside of the studio."

"Definitely," Mason agreed, glancing at Lilly again. "Maybe one day you'll be starring in a movie too."

Lilly's eyes widened with excitement. "Really?"

"Why not?" Mason said with a grin. "You've got talent. That's the most important part."

Abby watched the interaction with pride before turning to Stacey. "Mason's always been good with the younger dancers. He started when he was really little, and now look at him."

Stacey nodded, impressed. "It shows. Thank you for letting us visit."

"Of course," Mason added. "You're welcome to stay and watch the next scene if you'd like. We're about to shoot one of the big action moments."

Lilly's eyes sparkled. "Can we, Mom?"

Stacey smiled at her daughter's enthusiasm. "We'd love to."

As Mason turned to head back to the set, he gave Abby a quick hug. "I'll see you after the scene, okay?"

"Take your time," Abby replied. "We'll be watching."

With that, Mason returned to his place, picking up the megaphone and giving instructions to the crew, while Lilly and Stacey stood beside Abby, watching with fascination as the movie magic unfolded. Lilly couldn't take her eyes off the set, and Stacey seemed just as intrigued.

"This is amazing," Lilly whispered to Abby.

Abby smiled, proud of both her son and the awe he was inspiring in the new mini. "Stick around, Lilly. You'll see—there's so much more to come."