CHAPTER 5

S A V A N N A H

I bought a non-alcoholic wine for my surprise for Joshua. Dala ko rin ang sonogram ko na ipapakita rito. I also dressed beautifully enough to conceal my bump but comfortable enough to keep my belly free. I'm starting to feel like myself again. Pakiramdam ko ang saya-saya ko ulit. Iniisip ko kung mapapaaga ang balik ko sa trabaho lalo na ngayon na ipo-promote ako ni Miss Socorro to primetime news anchor sa maintstream program dahil magre-retire na ang isa sa mga senior anchors. That's actually another news I want to break to Joshua. We're going to have a double celebration.

Sabi ng driver ni Joshua ay nasa opisina pa ito kaya naman ay dumiretso ako roon. It was pretty late so there were only a few people left in the office. There were rows and rows of cubicles where I used to work in when I was still a field reporter. Nang makarating ako sa cubicle nito ay naroon pa ang kasamahan nito.

Tila nagulat pa ito nang makita ako. "Babalik ka na ba?"

"Malapit na." Lumingon-lingon ako. "Nakita mo ba si Joshua? Alam mo ba kung nasaan siya?"

"Nasa isa sa mga meeting rooms yata. Ayaw magpaistorbo. Mukhang busy nga siya nitong mga nakaraang linggo eh. Baka may assignment na binigay sa kanya si Boss." Tumayo na ito. "Mauuna na rin ako, Savannah." Tinanguan ko ito.

Tinahak ko ang daan sa mga meeting rooms pero wala ito sa mga nadaanan ko. Tatawagan ko na sana ito nang may marinig akong ingay ng mesa at upuan sa isa sa mga meeting rooms. Hinanda ko ang camera ko para ma-record ko ang reaksiyon nito sa ibabalita ko.

Lumapit ako sa pinto at dahan-dahang binuksan iyon.

Nothing could have prepared for me for what I'm witnessing at the moment.

"Joshua..." ungol ng babae.

A woman was bent over the desk, naked. My husband has his dick inside her and was currently pounding in her with every inch of his life they didn't even notice me. The wine bottle I was holding fell to the floor and the crash made them turn to me.

The woman...I know that face. I always see her every day here at work. This is the same woman who sent me my notice of promotion a few days ago.

My phone fell from my hand as it all sank in.

"Savannah..." Si Joshua ang unang nakabawi sa dalawa.

I shook my head and bent down hastily to retrieve my phone. I walked back while trying to steady myself. Both of them started grabbing their clothes. I ran away like my legs were on autopilot. By the time I was inside the comfort of my car, I saw my hand bleeding, probably from the shards of glass that my phone had fallen into. I can worry about that later. I just need to get away from here.

I drove and drove until I got to my parent's house. I knocked like the house was on fire. I knocked like death chased me.

It might as well be death that's chasing me. My heart was numb and breaking at the same time.

"Sino ba-" Delilah opened the door and looked at me. Horror immediately etched her face. "Savannah! May dugo..." Sumigaw ito. "Mama! Papa!" She pulled me inside and closed the door. She checked me and when she noticed the blood came from my hands, she exhaled in relief. She hugged me tight before releasing me.

"Anong...Diyos ko, Savannah. Anong nagyari sa iyo?" My mother was clearly awoken from her bed based on her unruly hair.

Nianah and Jonah ran down the stairs and checked me out. My father got the first aid kit and started cleaning my hands as soon as they sat me down.

"Si Joshua, Mama...nahuli ko siya...nahuli ko siya..." I broke down and sobbed. My lungs were on fire and I could barely breathe but I couldn't help it. All the pain that has been locked within me for months has finally exploded.

My mother just enveloped me in her comforting embrace. The embrace I knew since I was young. The embrace that helped me ease my pain and long days. What's different now are other pairs of arms hugging me as if making me feel that they are here with me.

"Breathe, Savannah." Jonah handed me a glass of water.

As soon as my breathing evened I realised what I might have captured. I looked for my phone and scrolled through it with my bandaged hands. My hands shook and Nianah retrieved my phone from me.

"Fucking piece of shit." She handed it to our father whose face grew red and angry as he watched the video. My father is known for his tenacity in his AM programs. He's not afraid to voice out his opinions. Right now, I am afraid of what he could do or say against Joshua.

"Hindi ko akalain na magagawa niya sa akin ito."

"Isn't that your boss?"

Tumango ako at nanariwa nanaman sa isip ko ang nakita ko. Maybe that's why I received a letter from Letizia Socorro that when I finally come back to work, I will be a primetime news anchor. It will surely take more time from me and giving me another promotion will widen the gap between me and Joshua. She knows Joshua is insecure about our career progressions and she's only adding fuel to the fire. But then again, maybe it was to lessen their guilt that they were cheating on me behind my back.

"God, I'm so stupid. I should have known." I wiped my tears. "He started going home late and he started getting a bit physical with me, always pushing me. Bawat araw nagbabago siya. He treated me worse each passing day." I sobbed as I remembered all those nights I pitied myself because of his treatment. "His parents wore me down. Tore me down bit by bit. I can't believe I let them get to me like that." It was a realisation that just dawned on me. Their condescending comments are sugarcoated with fake kindness and consideration. I treated them as family but right now as I think back, they just wanted one thing from me. An heir.

"Stay here, Savannah. Please. It's not good for you and the babies to go back there."

Napahawak ako sa tiyan ko. I can't be stressed like this. I have babies with me to take care of. Sila ang priority ko ngayon.