CHAPTER 40

D A M O N

My family and I were at our mausoleum today to drop off some flowers for Anni and Geoff. The fresh flowers on the resting places told me the Buenavideses were here earlier to pay respects. My father and I dropped off the flowers as Mom and Jeremiah settled at a nearby table.

"Eight years, huh?"

I nodded and pocketed my hands. This day isn't getting any easier, no matter how many years have passed. My parents know what I do on these days. Leave Jeremiah with them tonight, and I will spend the rest of the evening in the gym or drive around to pass the time. Jeremiah has always been okay with it, but Mom is right. As he gets older, he'll realise I have this weird coping mechanism regarding his mother's death. I always told him I had a date, and when I say that, he knows he'll be staying with my parents. I feel bad, but I'd rather him not see me broken. I want him to see me as a strong figure he can lean on even if, deep inside, I am that broken younger brother who misses his only sister. I tried to show that I have moved on, but in reality, I am still grieving.

I felt my father's hand squeezing my shoulder. "It will pass, son. The pain...will pass."

When I looked at Jeremiah and I saw his smile, a pang of pain shot through me again. He has Anni's eyes and a smile. His demeanour is all Anni. Eight years did nothing to dampen the pain whenever this day comes.

We stayed there for an hour or two before we headed out. I said goodbye to Jeremiah and my parents before heading to my car. I went straight home with the plan to spend time at the gym. I made a mental note to do some sparring sessions with Philip soon.

I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw Savannah at my gate. She was clutching her jacket as she rocked on her heels.

"Savvy?"

She looked up from her phone and smiled at me. It wasn't her usual bright smile. There was something else in that smile that made me feel calmer.

"Hey..."

"What are you doing here?"

She tucked some strands of hair behind her ear. "The twins are at their dad's..." She looked up at me tentatively before looking down at her feet. "Your mom...told me that this day is not one of the best ones for you?"

My jaw tightened. Mom.

Savannah touched my arm. "I'm sorry. If you want to be alone...I'll leave. I just thought that maybe you don't want to be alone." She rolled her eyes. "I mean, you left Jeremiah with them, so you probably want to be alone." She sighed. "Sorry. You know what, I'm gonna go..."

I smiled at her as she fought with herself to stay or go. I touched her head to keep her from walking away. "No." I took a deep breath before holding her hand and squeezing it. "Come with me."

I pulled her to my car, and we drove to the destination I had in mind. She continued to hold my hand quietly as I drove, and by the time we stopped and got out of the car, I started to second-guess my decision. I haven't set foot in this place since Anni and Geoff died. The house is well-maintained, and the cars have long been sold.

"Where are we?" Tanong ni Savannah sa tabi ko.

"It's Anni's eighth death anniversary. Geoff's, too. Eight years have passed since they got into an accident that claimed their lives." She didn't say anything, but her hold on my hand became tighter. "I have never set foot in this place since then. Even their son, Jeremiah, hasn't been here since they died."

I opened the gate, and I saw the familiar view of the house I grew to love before again. It looked the same as the last time I'd been here.

"We don't have to, Damon."

"I guess it's time, Savvy." I leaned on the porch's railing. "I miss her every day. There are nights when I wish I stopped them that night. There are times when I wished I could have done something so they could have avoided the accident." I closed my eyes and let myself go down memory lane. "Anni was my partner in crime even when she got married. We grew up together like we are attached by the hips. We had a lot of dreams together, even when we were building our lives separately. I...haven't completely come to terms with her passing, Savvy. I feel like I stole her life. Her life with her son. I feel like whatever I'm doing isn't enough. They would have been better parents than me. I'm a coward, you see? This is my way of escaping."

I opened my eyes when I felt Savannah hugging me. Her hands were caressing my back, and that's when I realised that my cheeks were wet from tears. My tears.

"You don't have to always be strong. You can be vulnerable to the people you trust and won't leave you. You told me you'll always be there for me. You also need someone to hold your hand, Damon. You can't solve everything, and that's okay. Things happen for a reason, no matter how painful they are. They...just need to happen. I'm sure wherever Anni is right now, she's happy with how far you've come. Her body died, but her dreams didn't. Well, not completely. You can still make them come true, Damon."

I wrapped my arms around her and tucked my head in her neck, her scent calming me immediately.

"I'm here. Jeremiah's here. Your parents are here with you. Hindi mo naman kailangan laging gawin ang mga bagay mag-isa. You can lean on us too, Damon just as we can lean on you."

I took deep breaths as a cold breeze swept through us. I stepped out of the embrace and opened the house. It smells like air freshener now, and probably their scent has long been gone now, but the memories played like a movie in front of me. This living room is where we usually stay to take turns carrying Jeremiah. This is where we play our family games.

I stared up at the portrait of Annika, Geoff, and baby Jeremiah that was up on the wall. Their bright smiles glowed amidst the darkness of the house. The feeling that usually gripped my heart tightly isn't as suffocating now. Savannah was right. I can still make our dreams come true, and I have Jeremiah with me to achieve that.

I looked back at Savannah to ask her to come in when she stood frozen, wide-eyed at the portrait. She was pale, like she saw a ghost.

"Savvy?"