CHAPTER 12

S A V A N N A H

We have been staying in the metro since Hera took up my case. It was easier to meet with her this way. My parents insisted we stay here instead of looking for another place to live. This way, they can look after the twins if I'm busy.

I was fixing my kids' toys in the nursery when my phone rang. "Hello?"

"Savannah, it's Hera."

"Attorney Marquez? Bakit ka napatawag?" Kumabog ang dibdib ko. Whenever Hera calls it's always good or bad news. Nothing in between. Both give me a mini heart attack, nonetheless.

I look forward to the call I've been waiting for for the past years since Joshua cheated on me.

"The annulment has been finalised. You're free."

You're free.

"T-thank you, Attorney." My hands shook. "I'm free..." I whispered.

"Congratulations, Savannah." I know that even with Hera's lack of enthusiasm in her voice, she's happy for me.

The lawyer has long been gone but I remained standing with tears in my eyes. I knelt when the news finally sank in. After an agonising year, Hera was able to free me from my past.

"Mommy? Crying?" I looked at my daughter who was hugging her favorite doll. It has been four years since she had that doll, a gift given by my friend during their baptism.

I wiped my tears and smiled at her. "I'm happy, baby. Mommy is happy."

Her small hands wiped the tears that rolled down my cheeks. "Mommy no cry."

I hugged her and for the first time, I really felt the freedom that Hera said. Noah came closer too and joined the group hug. He was clutching onto his teddy bear, a gift from my friend too.

I wish I could celebrate it with her but it has been four years since we lost touch. I wonder where she is right now. I bet she's going to be happy for me and for the woman I became. I was able to overcome my biggest obstacle so far. I am free from the shackles that is Joshua.

The next day, I bought a fruit basket for Attorney Marquez. I want to thank her for helping me out with my annulment.

It isn't my first time coming into her office so I know where to go. Her office may be the most undecorated in the firm which isn't surprising knowing how Hera is. I knocked on her door and she immediately looked up. She's young but she's such a good lawyer given the number of years she's been practising. On top of that, she's a really attractive woman. I wonder why is she single.

"You shouldn't have." Sabi ni Hera habang inaabot ko ang mga prutas dito.

"It's a small token of my appreciation. I might still be waiting for my annulment like a sitting duck if I didn't call you that day."

She waved her hand. "It was nothing. I've had worse cases, believe me."

Attorney Pilar was disbarred and I refuse to think the cause of his silence after. I expected him to spread the news about Joshua but maybe he got paid off like the greedy man that he is to shut him up for good.

"What are you up to now?" Tanong nito sa akin. For the time I've known Hera, she doesn't like small talk so much. I get it so it is a surprise to me that she's the one initiating small talk right now.

I shrugged. "I suddenly don't know. I...I have to look for a job, I guess. I have twins after all."

She nodded and stood up. She extended her hand to me. "Congratulations, again. Maybe you can stop calling me Attorney Marquez now. Just call me Hera."

I stood up and shook her hand. "Thank you, Hera."

"Oh, who do we have here?"

A baritone voice sounded from the door followed by a distinct musky leather scent. He was wearing a navy blue three-piece suit which emphasised his great physique. When my eyes landed on his face, he might be the most handsome man I've ever seen. I worked in the television industry to see enough handsome faces in my lifetime but the man before me is on another level.

I felt a fast beating in my chest.

"Hey, Damon." Narinig kong sabi ni Hera. "This is my client, Savannah Agbayani. Savannah, this is Damon Olivares. He's my boss. He owns this firm. Unlike me, he specialises in corporate law." His eyes lingered on the lawyer a bit longer before he laid his eyes on me. I suddenly wondered if these two were dating or something.

Damon smiled at me before extending a hand. The beating of my heart intensifies. "Hi, Savannah." The way my name sounded on his lips gave me...weird feelings.

"H-Hi." I cleared my throat. "Nice to meet you."

"I hope my lawyer was on her best behaviour?" He has kind eyes that put me at ease even if it's my first time meeting him.

Hera's expression remains blank. "I don't have a bad one."

"Sure you do." He smiled at me again. "It was great meeting you, Savannah." He said before walking out. My eyes followed him until the door of his office closed.

When I returned my gaze to Hera, she was seated already.

"I'll get going, Hera." I picked up my bag and headed towards the door.

"Bye, Savannah."

I dropped by the grocery before going home. I want to cook for my family tonight to celebrate my annulment. I parked my cart on the side and looked up Damon Olivares on Google. Kanina ko pa nga gustong gawin pero inaantay kong makauwi ako. Hindi na ako makapag-intay at sisilip lang naman ako. There isn't much about him online. Looks like he is a very private person despite being a good and famous lawyer. I just continued with my shopping since I still have to cook at home.

"Anong meron?" I looked at Nianah who entered the kitchen which was mayhem from the looks of the ingredients scattered around.

"Oh, I just want to cook for you guys."

"Let me know if you need help."

Gellie helped me serve the food at the dining table where my family awaits. Mama is holding Naomi while Papa is holding Noah. Ever since the twins arrived, they were nothing but doting grandparents. I know they'll spoil my kids so much especially since my siblings don't have kids yet.

As everyone settled down, I remained standing. They were looking at me, even my usually rowdy toddlers.

"What are we celebrating, anak?"

"Babalik ka na ba sa TV, Savannah?"

I chuckled and shook my head. "I wish that were the case but I think my news is equally better than me getting back my old job." I kept my hands together to keep it from shaking. "My annulment has been finalised. I am free, guys."

My siblings hooted and stood up to hug me. My parents, my twins in their arms, walked up to me and hugged me tight.

"Oh, honey. I'm so happy for you!"

"Ako rin, Mama. Sobrang saya ko."

"You are finally free. I hope you give yourself a chance to be happy again."

"I am happy. I have my kids with me."

Mama shook her head. "I meant that you would give yourself another shot at love. You've always been a hopeless romantic."

"Ma, I just got out of a marriage. Maybe we can talk about relationships later?"

We all laughed before resuming dinner. I fed my kids as my parents, siblings, and Gellie ate theirs. My children smiled at me, their faces a mirror of the bright future ahead of us.