CHAPTER 31

D A M O N

My house will be filled with people again today. Jeremiah's birthday is the only reason people can come over to our house. We invite distant relatives and some friends of Jeremiah's from school. Also, his birthday meant the Buenavides side of the family would come too.

My mother has baked enough tres leches to last us a lifetime. Since she learned the twins and Savannah are coming, she was so excited I thought she forgot it was Jeremiah's birthday she was making those cakes for.

Visitors came piling in by lunch and the kids were kept busy with some magician and face painters in the backyard. We have a pool where the kids started swimming in too.

"Incoming." Bulong ni Dad sa akin nang makita ang mga Buenavides na palapit sa pinto.

I straightened my back and prepared to greet the three people from the other side of the family. Nigel looked like he had aged another decade from the last time I'd seen him which was Jeremiah's last birthday. Veron and Vida looked flashy as always like they were going to New York Fashion Week instead of a nine-year-old's birthday party.

"Damon."

I shook Nigel's hand. "Thank you for coming."

"Of course, we won't miss our favourite grandson's birthday," sabi ni Veron. I stopped myself from wincing. She always says that but never have I seen her talk to Jeremiah at all. She sometimes looks at him like he has a disease or something.

"Hi, Damon!" Vida moved closer and gave me a peck on the cheek. I don't even need to check my cheek if a lipstick mark is on it. I can feel the wet mark on my skin.

"Hi, Vida. You look great." That's my autoreply to women that I can't describe as exactly beautiful.

"Thank you." She blushed and giggled beside me. I am not oblivious to her attempts at flirting with me but I would never associate with someone like her even if she's not my brother-in-law's stepsister.

My mother discreetly handed me a tissue as she took over the greeting of the Buenavideses. I knew my mother had my back because just as I finished wiping my cheek, Savannah and the twins came into view. She's dressed in a floral dress that emphasised her fair skin. Her wedge heels made me want to look at her legs longer than necessary.

The twins came running to me and I knelt down to catch them.

"Hey guys, you made it!"

"Of course!" Sabi ng dalawa.

"Are these the twins?" My mother was ogling at them already with my father beside her.

"I'm Noah po," sabi ng bata at nagmano ito sa mga magulang ko. Sumunod naman si Naomi rito.

"Aww they are adorable. Come, I'll show you where Jeremiah is."

I stood up and greeted Savannah. She looked so beautiful with her hair braided today just like Naomi's. "Hey, Savvy. You look beautiful today."

She smiled and hugged me. "You look nice yourself." Her floral scent envelops me like the warmth of her body.

I heard someone clear their throat and three menaces of my life were still standing there. "Savannah, these are Jeremiah's grandparents and aunt from the other side of the family. This is Nigel and Veron Buenavides. Vida is Veron's daughter."

Savannah, being sweet and friendly as she is, extended her hand to Nigel and gave Veron and Vida a greeting on the cheek. "You ladies look fabulous."

"This is Ferragamo. I should look good in it." Sabi ni Vida rito. Hindi nakatakas sa mata ko ang matalas na pagtingin nito kay Savannah.