CHAPTER 44

D A M O N

I leaned on my car as I waited for my son to emerge from the classrooms. I have brought with me cookies that my mother baked and begged me to give to the twins. So here I am waiting for my favourite pair of twins, who also happen to be my son's best friend.

"So we finally meet."

I looked beside me to find Joshua, Savannah's ex-husband. I remember the kids telling me how we were trying to chance upon me last time.

"We have met as far as I can remember." He looked okay if I didn't know what kind of man he was. He's still a reporter, after all, and that required him to groom himself well. He is good-looking on some angles. I won't be shocked why Savannah fell for him. Based on what she said, he used to have the best personality before their marriage struggles.

"So you are dating Savannah?"

"I don't have to confirm nor deny anything to you, Joshua." I pocketed my hands as I stood closer to him. "If she is dating anybody, that is none of your concern."

"I am the father of her children, and anybody who is interacting with my children is my concern."

"What is so concerning about me, then? What is it about me that concerns you?" I smirked at him. "Do you think I will cheat on her like you did? Do you think I'll treat her as a maid in my home like you did? Do you think I will let my parents belittle her like yours did? I have a son who is well taken care of and has a very close relationship with your kids. I don't think I'll break my son's heart and trust by mistreating his friends."

"Hindi ko gusto ang asta mo, pare."

"I wonder why. Is it because I'm too good compared to you? Besides, you're the last person I need to impress. If anything, you're the first one on my shit list, if you know what I mean. Actually, I should thank you for setting the bar so low that whatever I do outshines whatever you did."

"Gago ka-"

"Daddy!"

Nilingon ko ang pinanggalingan ng boses at kalalabas lang nila Jeremiah mula sa mga rooms nila.

They beamed as they saw me, and I bent down to hug the kids. Gellie isn't here yet, so maybe she was stuck in traffic again. The twins looked at their dad and just waved at him, a way less affectionate than the hug that they gave me. It makes me wonder what their relationship is when they are alone. Also, maybe they were wondering why he was there because Gellie told me before that Joshua never fetches them from school.

Jeremiah on the other hand just looked at Joshua. Ever since he told me he looked scary, I never saw him approach Joshua and introduce himself which he usually does with other people. Mukhang nakuha nito iyon sa akin dahil madalas ako nitong nakikitang nakikipagkamay sa mga kliyente ko.

I walked away from Joshua and, pulled out the container with the cookies in it, and offered it to the kids.

"My Lola makes the best cookies!" Sabi ni Jeremiah sa kambal bago abutan ang mga ito ng tig-iisa.

"Hmm...I think its better with milk." Sabi ni Noah na nasa pangalawang piraso na.

"Uncle Damon...I don't feel good."

I placed the container back in the car before bending down and looking at Naomi. Her cookie was half eaten and was on the ground now. Her face is getting red, and her skin is getting patchy. "I think you're having an allergic reaction." Nilingon ko si Jeremiah. "Is your clinic still open?"

Umiling ito. "No...it closes before our last period, Dad. What's happening to Naomi?" His face was worried as he looked at us.

"Naomi doesn't have allergies..." Sabi ni Noah.

I felt someone grip me from behind. It was Joshua. "Anong ginawa mo?!"

The next series of events went like a blur. Joshua got his kids in his car while I got on mine with Jeremiah. I called Savannah along the way, who had to take off from work since this was an emergency. We got to the hospital, and Joshua threw me a glare, warning me to keep my distance. I did. This time, I know my place, and that is to be far from here.

Savannah came in a bit later and went directly to where Naomi, Noah, and Joshua were. I could see how worried she was, and even though Joshua was giving her a hard time, I knew it was not my place to intervene. It was a family matter, and right now, I'm not in that. Letizia and Zia, Joshua's partner and daughter, arrived a bit later. Zia gave me and Jeremiah a friendly wave before she was reprimanded by her mother.

I looked down at Jeremiah, who was holding my hand. He squeezed it and gave me a small smile. "Is she going to be okay, Dad?"

"She is. She will be." She's allergic to peanuts, from what I heard. She was given epinephrine along with other medications to help counter the reaction. I didn't know she was allergic to peanuts. Looks like both Joshua and Savannah also didn't know she was. The doctor said it was possible that she wasn't before and just developed it later on.

I looked up when I saw Joshua coming fast at me. He gripped me by the collar and pushed me on the wall hard. "You fucking asshole. You almost killed my daughter!"

"Joshua! Let him go!"

"I won't let you get close to my daughter or son ever again, do you hear me?"

"I didn't know she was allergic to peanuts. I wouldn't give her something she shouldn't have." I tried to say with a calmer tone.

"I don't care. I don't want you anywhere near my children."

"Let him go!" Savannah was able to pull him off me. "People are looking."

"Bakit, takot kang malaman nila na ang boyfriend mo, pinagtangkaan ang anak natin?"

Savannah massaged her temple. "It's not like that, and you know it. Ngayon lang natin nalaman ang allergy niya."

"I don't care. Get him out of my sight."

Savannah sighed before looking at me. "I'm sorry, Damon. I can't deal with this-"

I squeezed her shoulder. "Just call me if you need anything, okay?"

She sighed again before nodding.

I kissed the top of her head. "Okay, we'll get going. Love you." I squeezed her hand before carrying Jeremiah, who seemed shocked by everything. "Let's go, buddy."

"I hope you weren't scared, buddy. Whatever words you hear from him, don't mind it. Okay?" I said as I buckled his seatbelt.

He nodded. "I won't say bad words, Dad."

"Good."

"You told Aunt Savvy you love her."

My eyebrows bunched up. "What?"

"You told her you love her."

"I did?"

Jeremiah smiled and nodded. "Do you love her?"

"Maybe I do..." I said as my mind tried to go back and remember if I really said I loved her. "Do you?"

"I do. I love Aunt Savvy. I always tell her. You should, too, Dad. She told me to tell people how much I love them."

I ruffled his hair. "I'll do." I nodded subconsciously. "Yeah, I'll do that."