CHAPTER 15

D  A  M  O  N

I wrapped the bandage around my knuckles as I waited for Philip to come into the gym. My parents took Jeremiah with them to go around the club and the city so here I am.

I started kickboxing when Anni died years ago. It helped me cope with therapy. It was something I told Philip to do to help him cope with his girlfriend's demise.

We were two people who were grieving over the most important people in our lives at the time. I know losing a sister was different from losing a girlfriend but I can't imagine what Philip was going through then. Especially when he felt guilty for not being there when his girlfriend went missing only to turn up beaten and dead.

The man walking before me now is a happy one despite the sadness that sometimes crosses his eyes. He was able to get back on his feet to help his grandfather. Philip Quintana is probably the person I consider my best friend. We go way back. I have Hera too but hers is a different kind of friendship.

"What's got you all riled up?" Tanong sa akin ni Philip matapos ang halos dalawang oras na sparring naming dalawa.

I usually ask him to spar with me whenever work gets stressful or when he gets stressed which isn't as frequent. Sometimes, we just do this for a workout or something.

"We finally cleared the air. She told me what she wants."

"Ah...well? Does Hera want to date you or not?"

"She just wants me to be her partner in crime. Which is ironic because we're fucking lawyers but you get the irony in that right? But she told me she can't lose a friend and partner like me. And that she's not a girlfriend material knowing how busy she is."

"Sorry, man. Your so-called humour is the worst. But she has a point. Ikaw na rin nagsabi sa akin na buhay niya ang trabaho. I doubt if she has time to date."

"I like her, Philip. She's smart, witty, sexy, beautiful. And she likes my son. Jeremiah likes her too."

"Maybe it's for the best, bud. Time for you to finally look beyond her."

"I know. So speaking of dates, both of us are zero in that department."

"I'm not bringing anybody to the Valentine's ball. Remember the last time I did, she thought I was gonna propose. Fuck me. We haven't even been together for 12 hours and the whole time, I've just spoken 10 words because she kept talking."

"I remember, bud." I chuckled at the memory. I felt so sad for Philip I tried fighting the urge to pull him out of his misery.

"So, you have anything to wear?"

"Can't I wear my usual tux?"

"Carrie said to be more creative than that. We're not attending a business meeting as she said. And you know what happens if you don't conform."

"I don't have any then."

"Mine is coming next week. You better head down to the boutique and get something then. Marceline should have some suits you can choose from." He started to grimace.

"I know that face. She surely has something for you. Marceline is always ready for this event and for last-minute customers. I know you're picky with clothes but she's good at what she does. Pretty too."

I want to see my best friend fall in love again. I knew him when he was still with Grazhiella and he did a complete 360 when she passed away. I on the other hand decided to do the 360 just because I had a kid already. I can't date carelessly because Jeremiah will be affected by it. I knew my sister named me as Jeremiah's guardian for a reason and I won't fail her.

I got home to shower a bit and looks like my parents and kid are still out and about. I called them to check in on them.

"Anak, bakit ka napatawag?"

"Just checking where you dragged my son off to."

Natawa ito. "Ano ka ba, Damon? Nandito kami sa library. Nag-eenjoy pa si Jeremiah dito eh."

"Okay. Let me know if you need me to fetch you. I'll just catch some drinks with Philip tonight."

"Hayaan mo na kami, anak. Mag-enjoy ka rin ha? Mag-relax. Hindi naman kami mawawala."

I smiled at my Mom. "Still, if you need a ride, I'm here."

"May mga umiikot naman na service. Pero sige, tatawag kami kapag may kailangan kami."

I hung up and dressed myself casually before heading to the bar. I ordered myself a light dinner before I ordered my liquor. A distressed Philip came in thirty minutes later.

"Looks like you're the one needing another session." I teased him but it looked like he didn't even hear it. He looked like he was in a trance.

"I just saw Grazhiella." His skin was so pale I thought he was going to faint. I would too if I saw my dead girlfriend.

"Are you high buddy?" I tried to joke but I was deeply worried by the looks of him right now.

"You have seen Marceline right?"

I nodded. I haven't been so much in the club's boutique because I have my own tailor in the metro that takes care of my suits. I just go there if ever I forget an event in the club and don't bring any appropriate outfit.

"Pretty woman. Why?"

"She looks like Grazhiella, Damon. I thought she was alive there for one second."

I sighed and tried to speak calmly. "Philip, many people can look so much alike these days."

He showed me a picture of Grazhiella from his phone. I only knew her from memory which isn't so fresh right now because that was a decade ago already.

"Tell me they don't look alike."

I scratched my neck because I wanted to deflect him but they did look eerily similar the hairs on my neck stood up. "I would say yes if that won't make you pursue her just because she looks like Grazhiella. They look similar, bud. That doesn't mean Grazhiella's alive."

"I just asked her to be my Valentine's Ball date."

"You fucker." I shook my head. Too late to warn him now I guess.

"I need to sort this out."

I breathed in deeply. "Philip, look. I think Marceline is a great woman. Please don't settle with her just because she looks like Grazhiella. No one wants to live under the guise of somebody."

"Who can help me with this?"

"Winter might. But don't tell me I told you so."

"She hasn't even agreed to the date, Damon."

"I know her, kinda. She looks like a woman who doesn't date for fun. Her friends are Luna, Tabi, and Amara who are all married and are working here. I assume she's planning to settle down too. So if you pull her in this... whatever this is, don't make her live like Grazhiella. Or don't treat her like how you would treat Grazhiella."

He nodded while pulling his hair. "I know...I know. Fuck. How is this happening? Am I crazy?"

"You are starting to sound like one. Maybe talking to Winter will help."

He breezed out as soon as he breezed in. Great. Now I'm alone again and looks like Philip may have found his date to the ball.

I sighed as I knocked back my glass. Guess I'll be the perfect gentleman at the ball again and dance with anybody who doesn't have anyone to dance with. Seems like society expects me to act like a Disney prince every time and I somehow, always fit the role.