CHAPTER 26

D A M O N

The campsite that was given to us was close to a river. Savannah tasked me with putting up the tents while she fixed our things. We will be staying here for two nights and three days in total. We will all eat in the main camp but we can set up our own bonfires in our camp sites. We have until lunch to put up our campsites.

"You look relaxed back there, Your Majesty."

Savannah looked at me from the camping chair she was comfortably sitting on like royalty. I was feeling sweaty and sticky from putting up the first tent. Now I am putting up their tent beside ours.

"I am finished with my task."

"Aren't you going to ask me if I need help?" I am just teasing her. I am still gauging this electrifying force between us. I'm not sure what to make of it. I am not sure if I'm the only one bothered to know if there could be something between us. It is not something I feel with Hera.

With Hera, I feel safe and comfortable and at ease. With Savannah, I am always on the edge like I don't know what's waiting for me in the next turn but I still want to find out anyway. I am more careful with what I say or do because I'm afraid I'm misreading the attraction between us.

Little did Queen Savannah know that I asked the organiser beforehand to pair us with Savannah in exchange for additional donations in some projects they claim to help the needy. The organiser didn't even bat an eye.

She smiled sweetly at me like she always does only this time, there's a hint of mischievousness I didn't know she had it in her. She twitched her lips as if she were thinking. "Parang kaya mo naman mag-isa."

"And here I thought you're an angel."

She rolled her eyes before standing up and squatting next to me. "What can I help you with then?" Her beautiful wide eyes stared at me. It's so easy to get lost in them and I think that's part of her charm.

"It's fine. I can do it."

She chuckled before standing up and patting my shoulder. "Well, work faster then."

I watched her call the kids to have some of the chilled fruit juice she bought with them. My heart twitches at the sight of my son enjoying the company of Savannah and her twins. I am observing my son whenever they are around.

Jeremiah and I don't have any problems when it comes to showing affection with each other but somehow as I looked at how he is with them, our level of affection is not at par with theirs. With Savannah, I learned how he wants the morning hugs that we do now, sitting on her lap, and kissing her cheeks to show his thanks. I also notice him staring at the twins and Savannah with longing in his eyes. I don't fail to ask him if he has any problems bothering him but every time I do, he doesn't tell me anything.

After I finish building and securing the tents, Savannah comes up to me with water in her hand. She was smiling cheekily at me with her rosy cheeks and a thin layer of sweat glistening on her face.

"I'm not that heartless."

I made sure to touch her fingers when I reached for the water. Her expressions almost always stay the same whenever it happens. Her eyes will widen, her lips will part a little, and her cheeks will redden.

"May ipapagawa pa po kayo, kamahalan?" Nakangiting tanong ko rito.

"No...I think we're all set up anyway. We're just waiting for them to call us for lunch. We have three challenges to complete this afternoon before dinner."

I plopped myself on the grass. "We got the best spot. If the sky is clear tonight, we can see some of the stars."

She sat beside me with a safe distance between us. "I need this getaway before my life becomes busy again."

"Busy is good."

Niyakap nito ang mga tuhod. "Sometimes I feel selfish for wanting my old career even if that meant spending less time with the kids. I loved reporting on television then, you know? Bata pa lang ako nagkukunwari na akong reporter. So when I got my dream job, it became my life. I excelled in it because I was very passionate about it." She placed her head on top of her knees. "I miss it. But I will also miss my kids. Maybe this is the reason why a lot of mothers can't be career women."

"Noah and Naomi know you love them. They are old enough for you not to do everything for them." I leaned with my hands stretched behind me. "One of the most important lessons I learned as a workaholic father to my son is to always be present at the most critical moments of their life. Whether it's a play in school, a family day, birthdays, or holidays, you should be with them. That's non-negotiable. The kids remember those times and at this point in their life, being present means more than anything." I sighed. "It is a privilege sadly. I'm the boss so I can come in or go home whenever I like but for the majority of working parents who are working from eight to five, Monday to Friday, it's a sacrifice."

"I lost two children before my twins came into my life. Those were the darkest days of my life. Kaya noong binigay sila sa akin, sabi ko, gagawin ko lahat. Ibibigay ko lahat. Hiniling ko sila eh. Hinintay ko sila eh. I did for the past eight years. I feel...left out and I feel bad because I didn't want to blame the kids. Pero paano ko ba mapipigilan ang sarili ko na maramdaman na napag-iiwanan na ako? Seemed like everybody has moved forward and I stayed here."

"Don't feel guilty for not forgetting yourself. I know, it's easier said than done but Savvy, don't lose yourself like how you did when you got married. The more frustrated you become, the more it'll manifest in the things you do. You'll end up hurting the kids in the process." I reached out and squeezed her hand. "Happy kids need a happy Mommy. So as you think about how to make your kids happy, don't forget to think about making yourself happy too. Hindi ka napag-iiwanan. People are just on different paths, different paces. At the end of the day, it's yourself that you should think about."

She looked at our joined hands. I don't know if she's thinking why am I touching her or if she wants me to release her, or does she feel comfort in my touch like I do when I am touching her?

"I want to be truly happy again, Damon. But a lot of things are holding me back. I don't think-"

"No, Savvy." I squeezed her hand again. "Take it one day at a time. You'll start a job soon. A job you love. Focus on that first. Get your routine sorted out then think about the next step to your happiness."

"Bakit hindi ka naging therapist? Bakit naging abogado ka?" Her pouting made me want to kiss her so I just resorted to pinching her cheek.

"I'm smart. I know things." I winked at her and I savored the feeling of watching her cheeks redden.

"Akala ko ba hindi ka mayabang."

I smirked at her. "You haven't seen me in court, baby. You wouldn't want to be on the opposite of the court if I'm on the other side of it." I leaned closer to her to whisper in her ear. "They say I'm hottest when I am in court."

I heard her swallow hard and I smiled internally. It's affecting her for sure. I locked my eyes with her before dragging it down to her lips. She bit her lower lip in a very sexy way. I am so fucking attracted to her that I don't know how long can we do this game of hers with our stolen glances and longing stares. If she doesn't want to see what more of us there could be, I'm too happy to take on the task.