Chapter 6

The weekend came and went like the last three weeks, and now I was suffering from the Monday blues. His piercing eyes, which seemed to stare straight into my soul, had left a mark I never wanted to fade. I could still feel the weight of his body pinning me down on the couch during our 10th date this past weekend, and the way that his lust pressed against my bellybutton in the most sensual way. Facing him today felt daunting.

At least we worked on different floors, which gave me some hope of avoiding him. But it wasn't foolproof plan. What were we, anyway? Three weeks since our first date, and I was still unsure. We'd gone on several dates, but I was still uneasy on the topic of if I was officially, 'the girlfriend'.

"Number 32, your drink is ready," shouted the barista at the coffee shop on the first level of the office. As I checked my number, I realized he was calling for me. "Thanks so much," I said with a smile.

"Well, well, fancy meeting you here," came a voice from behind me. I turned, and there was, statuesque as always. He wore a grey chambray mechanics jumpsuit with black combat boots. I couldn't tell if he was going to work or going to fix a car. "Oh, hi JK," I said, trying to sound indifferent.

"Woah, woah, woah. What's with the 'I barely know you' tone?" he said, blocking my way out of the coffee shop. I could tell people could hear him, so I instinctively scrunched my nose and shook my head at him to stop. I didn't like making a scene.

"Come with me," he said, grabbing my wrist and ushering me to the secluded spot around the corner from the coffee shop. He towered over me, pinning his left hand against the wall, obscuring me from view in case anyone happened to walk by. I looked at his smiling face, unsure how to feel.

"What do you need to talk about?" I couldn't help the slight cold tone in my voice.

"Why are you being so cold to me today? Did I do something wrong?" he asked with a light smile.

"No, but I feel like I did." My head fell to my feet as I laid out my honesty.

"What are you talking about? Why would you feel like you did something wrong?" His right hand nudged my chin up to meet his gaze. "Do you even know how happy you made me this weekend?" He grinned from ear to ear.

"Well," I started, "I didn't hear from you the rest of the weekend, so I felt like I may have disappointed you in some way." My gaze fell to his chest.

"Kennie, look at me." His voice, low and irritated, left me no choice but to meet his gaze. His eyes held an intent I couldn't ignore.

"You didn't do anything to disappoint me. I was busy yesterday with my family, so I wasn't on my phone much. I know this is all still new for us both, but believe me, if you ever disappoint me me, make me mad, or annoy me, I'll tell you upfront. I've wanted three years for this chance. I don't want to mess it up." The sincerity in his eyes was overwhelming, making me want to cry.

"Okay," was all I could manage as my stomach churned with nerves.

His hand gently nudged my chin, and our eyes locked. He glanced around, ensuring no one was watching. "Close your eyes, Kennie. I want to give you something." As my eyes shut, I felt his breath graze my lips. The anticipation was torturous; I wanted his kiss so badly it almost hurt.

When it didn't come, my shoulders slumped in disappointment. But then, his lips were right by by ear, and he whispered, "If you want to take things faster, just let me know. I want you so badly that after I got home from our last date, I had to relieve myself twice to get him to go down. Don't think it's a lack of want why I stop myself. I just want to show you the utmost respect, Kennie. So, we can go at whatever pace you're comfortable with, okay?"