Chapter 8

Friday has rolled around again, and JK and I have plans for a movie night, just the two of us. As I'm about to slip my phone into my bag, it vibrates—a familiar sensation that brings an instant smile to my face. It's him.

I quickly open his text:

[Kookie: Hey babe, I'll meet you outside the theater, dinner is at 6 at the restaurant around the corner, and the movies starts at 8.]

[Me: Ok! See you then!] 

My hear flutters, almost aching with the anticipation at the thought of seeing him again.

As the sun kisses my cheeks, the crystal blue sky injects a burst of childish joy into my day. The restaurant is nearby, so I opt to walk from the office. With an hour to spare, I decided to stop at the coffee shop on the corner. Settling in the shop, I look for my book, knowing I'm going to catch up on some reading before our evening begins.

"What can I get for you?" The eager barista asked, his smile wide as he stood ready to take my order.

"Can I have the strawberry lemonade, please?" I replied. JK wasn't a fan of many lemon-flavored things except for tea, so I always took the chance to indulge when he wasn't around. I spotted the only open table by the large window at the front of the café and made my way over to bask in the sunlight.

"Her you are, miss," the waiter said, placing the drink in front of me. I nodded in thanks, savoring the moment of solitude.

Just then, a familiar voice cut through the calm. "Kennie! Kennie, is that you?" My heart pounded so hard I thought it might escape from my chest; my fists clinched in a reflex of dread. Why was he here? Why was he calling my name?

I turned, reluctantly, to face the source of the voice. It was Kai, my ex, standing there as if the past had evaporated. "It is you It's been a long time, right?" His casual demeanor stung. I hadn't seen him since he left two years ago, cutting me off as if I were nothing more than a bad habit. And now here he was, acting as if none of it ever happened, standing in front of me with a grin.

My gaze sliced through him like daggers, as he took a seat uninvited. "I never said you could sit. What do you need?" I asked sharply.

"Ouch, why so cold? I know we're exes but damn," he replied, his smirk widening.

"Are you fucking kidding me? After what you put me through, you expect me to be nice to you?" I snapped, reaching for my bag to leave. Suddenly, he stopped me, his hand clasping firmly around my wrist. "Is that what you really think happened back then?" His voice softened, halting my movements.

"Does it really mater now, Kai?" You broke my heart. You left me for another woman, then ghosted me like I hadn't been your girlfriend for two years. I have nothing to say to you."

His body loomed over me as he pleaded, "Kennie, you have to believe me, it's not what you think. I never wanted us to end, especially not in that shitty way. Can you just sit and listen to me, please?"

Before I could respond, my balance faltered, and I fell backward, only to be caught in the arms of an unknown figure standing behind me.

"Why do you have your hands on my girlfriend?" JK's voice cut through the tension like a knife. Where did he come from? I hadn't even told him I was going to be here.

"Kennie, who is this guy?" Kai demanded, eyeing the unexpected competition.

I felt JK's presence envelop me, his proximity so close it was as if he could merge into my skin. His claim on me was forceful and deliberate. Looking up at him, I saw anger in his eyes; he despised the fact that Kai had touched me, even if it was just an attempt to capture my attention.