Regrets

"Hey, what's up, big guy?" Green Lantern asked as he slid onto his chair beside Superman's.

Superman looked up and saw Wonder Woman's and Flash's eyes looking at him with the same concern. He realised he had just been frowning and tried to force a smile on to his face, only for it to drop in an instant.

"Did you miss a date because Batman called the meeting early today?" Flash asked and Superman shook his head.

Wonder Woman nudged Flash in the side of his arm, shushing him when he tried to speak again. "You can talk to us if something's bothering you"

"Do it before Batman arrives though. That guy is a real pain to be around" Green Lantern shrugged and Superman had to refrain himself from burning him down to ashes.

As if speaking of the devil, the AI announced Batman's arrival and the room went silent, everyone sat up straight in their spots.

It didn't help Superman with his situation at all. He felt embarrassed to look at Batman and buried his face in his hands when Batman walked into the room.

The World's greatest detective was fast to notice and he watched Superman for a moment with tilted head before starting to talk.

When asked if there was something they ought to look into, Wonder Woman cleared her throat. "I happened to hear something controversial in the news this morning"

It caught everyone's attention and she continued. "Though Gotham's entrepreneur, Mr. Bruce Wayne is the one who funds and helps maintain the Justice League, it was reported he was making plans to start a project with Lex Luthor of Metropolis. We all know how--"

"YOU WHAT!?" Everyone's head jolted up at Superman when he yelled out of nowhere, his gaze directed at Batman.

Batman heaved a sigh. "Superman, please keep it down"

Superman blinked as he realised what he just did and cleared his throat before muttering out an apology.

Batman heaved yet another sigh and the rest of the leaguers watched in confusion as he just calmly spoke, ending the meeting. If it was any other day, Batman would have made Superman into breakfast for his pet dog. Something about the two of them felt different. It was strange.

"I'll be off now" Batman walked past Superman and the rest of them and made his way to the exit of the room.

Superman clenched his fists on the table and sprang up. "Wait!" He called out and Batman turned around, a tired expression on his face.
He was taken aback when Superman grabbed his wrist and pulled him into the hallways of the watch tower.

"S-Superman , what do you think you're doing?" Batman grumbled as he stumbled behind the other man.

"Um.. guys, what's happening?" The Flash asked pointing to where the two of the men was just a moment ago and everyone just stared ahead with dumbstruck faces.

Superman pulled Batman all the way into a chamber in the watchtower and locked the door behind him.

He turned around to see Batman glare at him and he clenched his jaw.

"Superman, what's gotten into you?" Batman growled, his eyes getting darker every passing second.

Superman just stood infront of the door and watched him with troubled eyes.

Batman heaved a sigh. "Move", he said ,his voice demanding.

"I don't want you to leave"

"You don't get to tell me what to do, Superman. I've got to go now" Batman sounded exhausted and he couldn't understand why Superman was acting this way. It was making him impatient.

"You're going to meet her, aren't you?"

"You know I am. Now move, It's already past our agreed time to meet" Batman tried walking past Superman, only to get held back by the arm.

"Superman, what--"

"Don't keep calling me that! I hate it when you do it"

Batman's eyes narrowed and he gritted his teeth. He really was starting to lose his composure. "You're getting on my nerves now, Let go" he spat at Superman and saw the other man's expression change into something hurt. It made Batman want to put an arm around him and comfort him, but he decided against it.

Superman didn't know what came over him. He couldn't stand it anymore. He slammed  Batman against the door and dashed his lips on his.

Batman seemed to have been taken aback at first, but the shock only lasted for a moment before he tried to push the other man away from him. "C-Clark!" He managed to blurt out before Superman pushed his tongue inside his mouth.

It numbed his senses and Batman involuntarily started searching his utility belt for something he could use . He believed what he grabbed was the chunk of kryptonite he always carried around and pulled it out of its lead box.

"Argh!" Superman yelped in pain and stumbled back, falling down on his knees. He looked up with wide eyes to see Batman cluthching the chunk of kryptonite tight in his hand as he stood there, taking heavy breathes. After a moment, he swivelled around and left the room, slamming the door shut behind him.

Soon, Superman felt the pain he felt all over his body die down and he tried getting up. But his knees refused to support his weight and he fell back down, slouching down on the ground.

He felt a terror seize his heart and it crumbled inside his ribs. As he gaped at the floor beneath him, tears flooded his eyes and he let out a gasp. His body shivered and he started to whimper. "Bruce" he sobbed into his fisted hands on the floor.

"I'm sorry"