Chapter 25

SATURDAY:

MEL POV:

We were in a changing room when we got notified about the starting lineup and to my surprise I was there. My name in the strikers position. I already left Keira's house to go to the sleepover and set my things down next to my locker.

Now I was waiting for Becka to change because she was taking forever and we had about four hours before our game started and about three hours before we had to be back on the pitch.

“Come on superstar.” Becka said as she swung her arm around my shoulders.

“Lead the way.” I was a little nervous about staying at her house but I couldn't just stay at home and then leave and come back three times a day without any questions being asked. The thing about her having a crush on me still played in my mind but she didn't make a move yet and I will definitely turn her down.

“What's up with you?” Becka asked as we got into her car.

I turn to her: “Nothing, just thinking about the debut.”

She smirked and said: “You will be great, and if you're not…I'm the keeper so nothing is getting past me.”

“Love the confidence.” I chucked and then it turned into a lightheaded argument about who is better while she drove.

We made it in front of a nice looking house. It was small but seemed big at the same time.

“I think both of my parents are home so I'll introduce you.” She smiled softly as I nod.

I totally forgot about this part. Meeting her parents, I just hoped they wouldn't be home.

As she opened the door and we put our shoes down she greeted her parents.

“Mum, dad this is Mel she is my new teammate and classmate.” A tall blond man looked down at me and shook my hand: “Nice to meet you Mel, I'm Harold and this is my wife Greta.” He pointed to the black hair woman, they both were tall and had strong features.

“Nice to meet you too.” I said awkwardly.

“Becka make sure she eats, we are going to that friend's party and we are going to go back tomorrow afternoon okay?” Becka nodded and her parents left, leaving us alone.

“We'll come on mum made lunch.”

Few hours later…

We were sitting in the changing room as I was already dressed in my jersey. It felt almost euphoric to be back. It was something past 5pm.

“Girls, it's the first game of the season, clean sheet, clean start. So let's kick some ass LET'S GO!” The coach says as We all roared and full of adrenaline went to the field.

The girls on the opposite team were aggressive and tackled all of us. At half time they already had four yellow cards.

One girl hit me in the ankle so it took me a while to get back into the changing room. The one medic we had on the team put an ice pack onto my ankle as the coach explained the tactics for the second half.

We were winning 2:1 until now with me having an assist and one goal so good for my debut.

“Melissa, are you good to play?” The coach asked me
I wanted to say yes, but then I remembered my injured ankle: “No, it really hurts. I'm sorry.” I said as I took a deep breath.

“It's all good.” She patted my shoulder and sent another player on.
I sat down on the bench and for the rest of the game I watched.

In the end we won 3:1. “WHAT! A! GAME!” Becka picked me up and spun me around as I laughed.

“Put me down.” she did as I said so and we all laughed and just talked on the pitch.

“Melissa, good game today.” María said as we were changing in the locker room.

“Thank you, you played well too. The assist was perfectly placed.” she blushed at the compliment and then we just listened to music until it was almost 8pm.

“You can take the bed and I'll take the coach.” Becka said as we were preparing for sleep.

“Don't be crazy, we can both fit here.” I said pointing to her king-size bed.

“You sure? I don't want to make you uncomfortable.”

I rolled my eyes: “I am sure. Now let's go order pizza because I AM STARVING!”
She laughed and pulled out her phone ordering it.

“So what are we going to do in the meantime?” she asked, stepping closer to me. I swallowed hard and looked at her.

“We can watch something.” I suggested and Becka smiled and nodded.

JANA POV:

I sat in my apartment looking up at the ceiling. I haven't heard from Mel in almost 24 hours.

The texts I sent were unanswered and she didn't pick up my call. I sighed and took a hoodie from my sofa walking out of the apartment.

I sat down in my car and started the engine. She said she is sleeping at some friend's house and I am on a mission to find out who it is.

I stopped in front of Keira's apartment and knocked on the door.

“Jana hey, Mel is not here if you're looking-” I cut her off: “I know, I…I'm just anxious. Do you know anything about the friend she's with?”

Keira led me through and sat me down at the sofa: “I would love to tell you but me and Lucy have no idea. She is out with this friend almost every day after school.”

“I know I sound jealous but I just…We are not spending any time together anymore.” I sniffed a little before I started really crying in Keira's arms.
She whispered reassuring words into my ear.

MEL POV:

“Stop, that was so funny.”

“No it wasn't!” I said as we were watching Bride's war.

“Come on, two girls are fighting about a wedding date, it's so stupid.” Becka tried to explain and I added: “This film is girlhood!”

“Blah, blah, blah.” I hit her as she hissed.

“Don't hiss, you deserve that.” I pondered.

“Okay, okay. I'm sorry. Here.” She pulled out a piece of paper folded into a flower.

I frowned: “Omg…that's so cheeky.” I took it out of her hands and pretended to smell it.

“How does it smell?” She smiled.

“Paper.”

We both laughed and then decided it was time to go to bed.

“Is this okay?” Becka asked as we laid down.

“Yeah.” I whispered and turned to my right side facing Becka.

And suddenly I don't even know how we were asleep.

THE NEXT DAY…

JANA POV:

I was anxiously sitting in the changing room bouncing my leg up and down quickly.

“She will be here. Don't worry.” Alexia said next to me.

“Yeah, I bet she is already there.” Lucy said, smirking.

Nobody except for Keira knew about my breakdown and my anxiety from Mel.

“She would never miss your comeback.” Alexia whispered.

As we were lining up and shaking the opposite team my eyes wander to the family and friends section.

I stopped in my movements and bit my lip.

There they were. Frido, Mapi and between them…an empty seat.

She didn't come.

I feel so bad for breaking all your hearts...I hate making Jana feel bad.