35

Trap

The two were talking while pushing the cart when suddenly a burst of mournful music sounded from the commune radio.

Lin Xuan's heart skipped a beat, and she was prepared for what was going to happen next.

Sure enough, the announcer's heavy voice came from the radio, starting with a long list of names of national organizations.

Gu Langhao and the pedestrians around him had realized that something serious was going to happen, and they all stopped to listen attentively to the content of the radio.

"... The committee announces with great sorrow to the whole party, the whole army, and the people of all ethnic groups in the country: The great leader respected by our party, the whole army, and the people of all ethnic groups in the country... after being ill and undergoing careful treatment in many ways, he died in Beijing at 00:10 on September 9, 1976 due to the deterioration of his condition and ineffective treatment..."

The faces of the people around him changed drastically, and they all fell into silence. When the obituary was over, tears filled their eyes without them realizing it, and some even fell to the ground and cried loudly.

Lin Xuan pursed her lips and said nothing. Although she was not from this era and had already known the result, she felt heavy and sad when she heard this obituary on the radio, like beating her chest with a heavy fist, and she couldn't help but shed a string of tears.

Gu Langhao's eyes were red. He held her hand and comforted her silently. After adjusting his mood for a long time, he choked up and said, "Let's go back and inform Uncle Er and the others."

Lin Xuan rode quickly for ten minutes to Huashu Village, and rode along the bumpy dirt road to the door of the village chief's house.

The villagers on the road watched the speeding bicycle from a distance. When it got closer, they didn't have time to say hello. They felt a gust of wind blowing and the bicycle went away.

"It seems to be Teacher Lin, and the second kid of the Gu family is sitting in the back. They are riding so fast. Don't they have something urgent?"

"Let's go and take a look."

Most people in the countryside work from sunrise to sunset and have no entertainment activities. Life was too boring, and what they liked most was to join in the fun. Whenever there was something going on in the village, people would gather around to watch.

A group of people quickly followed the car to the village chief's house.

Lin Xuan stopped the car, and Gu Langhao immediately got out of the car and was about to go into the house.

The villagers who were closer to the village chief's house gathered around. Although the villagers were not well-educated, they were very sensitive. The two of them looked solemn, and it was obvious that something serious had happened.

"Teacher Lin, what happened?"

At this moment, the team leader and Secretary Gu heard the noise outside and came out.

Gu Langhao said solemnly: "Comrade Chairman has passed away."

"What?" Everyone was a little confused and didn't react. After reacting, I immediately resisted to think about this possibility.

Gu Langhao: "Lin and I just heard the radio broadcast from the commune. Comrade Chairman died early this morning."

Captain Chen's body shook, and after stabilizing himself, he confirmed in disbelief: "Did you hear it right?"

Gu Langhao: "The radio broadcast was played twice and confirmed to be correct. When we left, the commune was already crying."

Everyone was silent for a while, and then sobs broke out in the crowd, and the crying became louder and louder.