CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

▃▃▃▃▃ ‧₊˚⊹ ‧₊˚⊹ ▃▃▃▃▃
THE LAST KINGDOM
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐓𝐖𝐎 ─── ❛ oaths

▃▃▃▃▃ ‧₊˚⊹ ‧₊˚⊹ ▃▃▃▃▃ THE LAST KINGDOM𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐓𝐖𝐎 ─── ❛ oaths

SERPENTS TONGUE ₊˚.༄𖥸 ── 
𑁍₊𓄹 -- ❪ the last kingdom ❫. 𓄹
╭ ‧₊˚⊹    你好,欢迎光临           
╰ ✦ guilty feelings╭ ᘒ ✦

Knuckles turned white at the deathly grip Athena had on her horses reigns. It was evident she was engulfed in a wave of fear and panic.

Not for herself.

But for her friends.

Athena's body was practically trembling as she sat on her horse, pulling on its reigns to make it go faster.

When their camp came into view, Athena felt her heart drop. The bodies of their people heightened her sense of dread.

Her heart was racing uncontrollably as she pulled her horse to a stop. Her mouth felt dry as her eyes frantically darted around, looking for the familiar three she was worried for.

The cold grip of fear tightened its hold on her as she jumped from her horse. She didn't wait for the others behind her.

She practically ran straight into the camp, not caring if there were any Danes hiding—waiting for them.

"Thyra!" Athena's voice broke as she screamed for her sister, spinning around on her feet to look around. "Melusine! Æthelflæd!"

There was no reply, only the yells of the other men. She watched as Beocca helplessly called out for Thyra, Sihtric calling out for Melusine.

Athena felt hopeless, all she could do was look around at the limp bodies at her feet, calling out for her loved ones.

Her body was practically shaking, her heart heavy with distress. Athena's breaths became heavy as she leaned forwards, almost choking on her tears as she leaned her hands on her knees.

The weight of sorrow pressed down on her chest, each breath a struggle against the overwhelming emotions that threatened to engulf her.

Athena would've collapsed to the ground if it wasn't for a sudden arm that had wrapped around her waist, stopping her from doing so.

She wanted to scream, cry, kick, curse the Gods for doing such a thing. But she was too weak to do anything.

She just let the tears stream down her cheeks, falling freely from her saddened eyes. She continued to cry out for the three woman, but it fell to deafened ears.