28) Lost Little Brother

Kinda short chapter

3rd pov

Cosette couldn’t find it in herself to let go of her brother. She was so close to losing him moments before. So close to losing that last bit of her father. Angor Rot didn’t get him though. She was happy for that fact alone.

As she traversed through Trollmarket, her brother clinging to the fur on her back, she thought of how everything would have gone wrong. And Jim’s mind was no different. He didn’t bother asking her to put him down. Her presence was enough to hold onto. Enough to cling to in his state of fear, worry, pain, and regret. He regretted pulling his friends and family into this. He regretted not heeding Kanjigar’s warning the first time.

He wouldn’t let them get hurt any more. Especially not his sister. He could feel her heart thumping against his chest, despite her stone skin. He was as terrified of losing her as she was of losing him. And he didn’t even understand most of her worries.

“Cosette..?” He croaked against her shoulder.

“Yes, Jim?” She says calmly, knowing he needed her to be calm right now.

“Did… Did Angor Rot attack you? When you went out alone?” He asks hesitantly.

“...Yeah. He did. A couple of times.” She answers vaguely, hoping he didn’t know too much about the attacks.

“Why didn’t you tell anyone? Why didn’t you tell me?” He asks, his hands tightening around the tufts of fur he held onto.

Cosette felt her heart ache.

“I couldn’t. I didn’t want to worry you or your friends. I still don’t want you to worry about me.” She answers quietly. “I’m my own problem. Not yours.”

“But you’re my sister. I need you in my life.” He says, his chest tightening as his throat closes up for a second. “I need you to trust me. With everything.”

Cosette stays silent before she stops walking, hidden behind a shop from other trolls’ prying eyes. She didn’t force him to let go of her, but she did breath a calming sigh.

“Jim, I trust you with my life. You are my best friend in this life, and I’m sure in many lifetimes to come. I just didn’t want to worry you. I know how you get.” She continues. “Some things aren’t meant to be shared with you though. No matter how much it seems like I don’t trust you, know that I do. I do with all of my heart. My soul, my body, my mind. I trust you as much as I love you.”

“And a sibling’s love is infinite.” He says at the same time as she does.

“Exactly.” She smiles. “I love you little brother.”

“I love you too, Cosette.” He says, his tone quiet.

She didn’t catch the strange pronunciation, instead nuzzling her head against his gently. He held onto her as long as he could, and she let him. She wouldn’t pull away or shrug him off. This was her brother. And she would not make such a mistake.

It took a little less than an hour before one of the siblings finally spoke up.

“I could go for some sporks right now.” Cosette says just as her stomach rumbles.

Jim let out a dry laugh, but still smiled as he pulled away from the hug.

“I could go for a burger.” He says with a lopsided grin.

Cosette laughed lightly at her sibling’s antics.

“Of course. I miss burgers.” She says thoughtfully. “Maybe get me one?”