38) Gunmar's Arrival

3rd pov

“I cannot believe she did this!” Toby shouted, only to be hushed once more by Vendel.

“Cosette is resting. Silence you fool.” He snaps.

“But what are we going to do? Jim’s gone. Usurna tried killing you!” Claire exclaims, much quieter than Toby.

“She took control of Trollmarket.” A voice, familiar to all of them, says from the entrance to the chamber.

“Master Jim!” Blinky gasps.

“Young Trollhunter.” Vendel says, nodding to the boy.

“Queen Usurna said I’m responsible.” Jim says. “But I can see that no one is.”

“Except for Usurna.” Talon says with a huff.

“You’re alive! You’re not a ghost!” Toby says, knocking on his armor.

Claire rushes forward, catching Jim in a hug.

“We saw you fall to your doom.” Blinky says, silently questioning his vision.

“How did you survive the deep?” Claire asks the boy.

“Claire.” He says as she checks him over.

“No troll’s ever come back.” She says.

“But I’m not a troll.” Jim says, removing her from himself.

He finally spots Cosette in the corner, sleeping peacefully despite the repeated nightmare playing in her mind.

“Is she alright?” He asks, his eyes worriedly scanning his sister.

“She is merely resting.” Vendel says, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"...Good. She doesn't need to know where we're going." Jim says, confusing the others. "I think it's time we get rid of Gunmar."

He pauses, looking over his team.

"Together. As Trollhunters." He says with a small smile.

"What do you mean?” Claire asks.

“If Gunmar thinks I’m dead, we’ve at least got the element of surprise.” Jim explains.

“Taking on Gunmar himself? Oh, what a day. Where would we find him?” Blinky asks the young boy.

“The Janus Order. They were getting all ready for his return.” Toby says.

“Okay, then we better move before we lose Trollmarket for good. This time, I’m not stupid enough to go alone. We’re stronger together. Come on.” Jim says. “Vendel, you stay here with Cosette. If she’s really dying, I need you guys to make sure she stays safe.”

“I wouldn’t be any help in battle, anyhow.” Vendel says with a shrug. “Be safe, Trollhunters.”

“We will.” Jim says, smiling up at the elder.

Jim and the others, other than Vendel, Cosette and Talon, leave the Heartstone and inevitably, Trollmarket. Vendel and Talon share a look of uncertainty.

·—·

Later

·—·

Cosette was lazily laying on the ground on her stomach, tracing the markings on her arms. Vendel had told her that her brother is still alive and that they had left to get rid of Gunmar.

She was waiting for Vendel to come back, as he had gone to one of the patient rooms for the moment to get something for her headache. She was getting tired of waiting though. He was taking so long.