Chapter Eleven - Safe Space

Marianna paced around the kitchen with her phone in her hands. Isabella burst through the front door and ran up to hug her mother. "Where is Kiyomi?" she asked, holding her mothers hands.
"She said she was going out for a little."
Isabella hummed softly. "I'm a little worried about her mom. She's been spending a lot of time away from home."
Her mother hummed softly and sat at the dining room table. Isabella suddenly had a "great" idea. "Mama, I think we should check her room. If she's hiding something, we should be able to find it there right?"
"I think that's a great idea Izzy. Let's go."

Meanwhile, Kiyomi was at her favorite boys' house enjoying the company of their caring and gentle nature.

Liam was on the floor, knees tucked under him, quietly coloring in one of his favorite books. Noah sat cross-legged beside him, keeping a lazy but watchful eye. His body leaned against the couch, one hand flipping through a magazine, but his gaze frequently shifted to check on Liam, ever vigilant beneath his playful demeanor.

Kiyomi, seated nearby on the floor, observed with wide, curious eyes. She was still adjusting to the dynamic of the house, where the boundaries between who was in charge and who needed care felt fluid. It was an atmosphere of safety, but also confusion, where the roles weren't always clear.

Josiah emerged from the kitchen, holding two mugs of coffee, and set one down in front of Vincent, who was seated at the far end of the room, typing away on his laptop. Kiyomi's gaze followed Josiah. His calm dominance always made her feel secure, though she hadn't quite allowed herself to fall into the rhythm of calling him by the names she knew would eventually come naturally.

"How are you doing, kitten?" Josiah asked softly, his deep voice resonating with an authority that both comforted and unsettled her.

"I'm good," Kiyomi answered with a shy smile, her fingers absentmindedly toying with a small stuffed kitten in her lap.

"Want to color with Liam?" Noah offered, his tone light as he stretched lazily. "He could use some company."

Liam looked up at Kiyomi, a bashful smile tugging at his lips. His big, expressive eyes glanced from her to his coloring book, an unspoken invitation.

Kiyomi hesitated but slowly nodded, moving over to sit next to Liam. "What are you coloring?" she asked, her voice soft and uncertain.

Liam showed her the page, not speaking, but his smile widened. It was a picture of a meadow filled with animals, half-colored in soft shades of blue and green.

"You're really good at this," Kiyomi complimented him, picking up a crayon and tentatively adding some color to the grass.

Noah chuckled, leaning back. "Liam loves the calm stuff, keeps him focused. Just don't give him too many choices, or he gets all fidgety."

Liam giggled, glancing shyly at Noah, then back at Kiyomi. His regressed state made him more open, though his anxiety still flickered beneath the surface. The dynamic between him and Noah was apparent; Noah wasn't just watching over Liam, but he was also taking care of him in a gentle, protective way.

Kiyomi found herself easing into the moment, coloring beside Liam while Josiah and Vincent exchanged a quiet conversation in the background. She could feel herself relaxing, the warmth of the house and the unspoken support of everyone around her settling her nerves.

AN - More coming soon!! I've been utilizing ChatGPT to help me move things along in the story.