Twenty-Three: The Fighter

A couple of days later, Sam’s childhood friend Lysis is visiting with him. Sam and his childhood friend, Lys, are chilling in the living room. Colby sits on the marble stairs just listening as Sam begins to sing, letting his accent slowly slip free.

“I know he hurt you, made you scared to love, too scared to love. He didn’t deserve you. Cause your precious heart is a precious heart. He didn’t know what he had and I thank god. It’ll take some time but you’ll see I was born to love you.” Sam smiles over at her as she joins in.

“What if I fall?” She sings.

“I’ll never let you fall.”

“What if I cry?”

“I’ll never make you cry.”

“And if I get scared?”

“I’ll hold you tighter. When they try to get to you baby, I’ll be the fighter.”

The two duet together.

“What if I fall?”

“I won’t let you fall.”

“What if I cry?”

“I promise I’ll never make you cry.”

“And if I get scared?”

“I’ll hold you tighter. When they try to get you I’ll be the fighter baby.” Sam smiles at her. “Look in the mirror, you're so beautiful. I’m here to remind you you’re my only one. Let me heal your pain he put you through with love you never knew.” 

Colby secretly records them as they end out the song.

“Want to believe that you got me baby,” She smiles.

“I swear that I do, from now to the next life.” Sam tilts his head back.

“Want to love, want to give you all my heart,” She hits a high note, “what if fall?”

“I won’t let you fall.”

“What if I cry?”

“Ooh I won’t make you cry.” Sam glances towards Colby’s direction, without seeing him.

“And if I get scared?”

“I’ll hold you tighter. When they try to get you I’ll be the fighter baby.”

They end the duet as Colby walks into the room.

“Hi love.” Sam stands up and opens his arms. Colby smiles as he hugs Sam.

“You guys sound amazing.” Colby smiles over at Lysis.

“Thank you Colby.” She smiles back. Sam steps back slightly, spotting Colby’s phone in his pocket.

“Babe.” Sam says as he reaches for his lover’s phone.

“Yes?” Colby tilts his head as Sam takes the phone. Sam opens it and goes to his camera roll. Sam rolls his eyes.

“Why’d you record us?” Sam says as he hands the phone back. Lysis laughs a little.

“Because you guys have a great voice.” Colby smiles at Sam. Sam rests his head against Colby’s chest. 

“Ya know Sami, I’m glad you’ve got someone that makes you this happy.” Lysis says from the couch. Sam chuckles against Colby’s chest. 

“Why?” Sam turns around, still pressing his body against his lover. 

“Cause it's just nice to see you happy again.” She says, quietly taking a picture. Colby rolls his eyes, keeping his hands on the blond’s hips. Sam shakes his head lightly. 

“Don’t go posting that.” Sam eyes her phone. She smiles and laughs.

“Too late.” Sam groans. 

“What's the matter, love, with her posting it?” Colby asks as he kisses the blond’s cheek. 

“Nothing I guess.” Sam smiles. 

For the rest of the day, the three of them relaxed in the living room.

A/N: 532 words. Inspo from Keith Urban’s ‘The fighter’