CHAPTER 7

SETH CHRISTIAN

I get to work in the kitchen.
I have always loved cooking and I thank the Lord that he blessed me with a family to cook for.

Cooking for my family comes rarely as I'm always rarely here but every time I'm here. I make it my ambition to do it as much as I can.

I can hear footsteps coming in the kitchen but I don't turn yet to check on who it is.

"Look at you, Dad Seth at work." I know who it is without turning.

"What are you doing here, Mateo."

"Don't pretend you didn't miss me,"

"We were together last night," I finish what I'm doing quickly and turn to glance at my best friend.

"That doesn't mean it would stop you from missing me." He says with a shrug.

"Well, it did."

"That's bad because I come bearing gifts."

"Uncle Mat,"the army comes running down each circling themselves on him at every part of him they could hold.

"Uncle Mat, what did you bring us?"

"Tristan, you don't greet someone like that?" I reprimand the young boy. He looks at me and meets my gaze. I slightly narrow them for him before he lowers his and turns to glance at Mateo.

"Hello, Uncle Mat, how have you been?" Mat grins at me before turning to Tristan.

"Good, little man. Now can we skip to the good part?"

"Yes," all the kids cheer and I shake my head.

They turn and walk away with him and walk out of the kitchen and I turn back to my cooking.

It's a few minutes that Mateo comes back. "I didn't forget you, my good friend, you look like you can use a hand."

I pass him a look. "You keep spoiling them Mateo, it's not right."

He shrugs his shoulders. "It's just a holiday gift, Seth. Don't be a party pooper."

"A holiday gift you never miss to get them something at each holiday, don't even get me to start on how some holidays you make them up just so you can get them something. Christmas and their birthdays are enough holidays to only get gifts."
He shoots his hand up in surrender but I know what's coming next, which is why I roll my eyes letting out a tired sigh.

"I get it, I won't do it again. This is the last time." I say it with an accent because I'm trying to mimic Mateo.
He looks at me and laughs.

"What's up with you today? You are acting like a dad on a steroid?" I chuckle at that.

"Maybe I'm on them,"
He nods his head before saying.
"Maybe you should consider reducing the intake."

"Go work on the barbecue and leave me alone," he walks over to my side and says to me.

"But don't think the conversation of you using steroids is over yet,"

"Get off me, Mate." I shrug him off of me but he goes while laughing.
I shake my head at him one last time before going serious about what I was making.

Later on, Brielle comes to help me in the kitchen. I love spending time with her especially time like this when we are just bonding.

She is turning thirteen next year. My baby girl is not a baby anymore which is why I let her help me.

I teach her how to cook as often as it can get. Every time there is an occasion of cooking here I use that opportunity to teach her.
I have always felt like a skill of cooking is a necessity everyone must uphold.