15.

'Helping out' at the workshop meant more than just rotating tires and changing some break pads.

For the past few weeks, Joost spent most days at the workshop sitting with Alanis and Apson, while the others kept the front operating. The three computer screens constantly displayed all the instances where Roan had used his bank cards, what he used them for and who he called on his phone.

They knew that any calls to Nathan or his close associates would be to burner phones or to mobile network accounts with fake names. They weren't optimistic to find anything easily but with Alanis' skills, Joost hoped that something would come up.

He wanted to know why Nathan was in The Netherlands. He wanted know why he was using amateurs to sabotage their deals. He wanted to know why he was using Roan and why he was particularly nice to Elke. And if Nathan was using people who didn't know the signs of being traced, Joost was going to take advantage, just like Nathan was.

'I told Enzo to not accept any more deals with new clients,' Apson said, standing behind his girlfriend who typed away on her keyboard. Joost leaned over an iPad on the table, scrolling through the coordinates of Roan's most recent pings.

'Why?' he asked without looking up.

'Because we don't know if they've been bought out by Acid?'

'Anyone can be bought. We should stop all deals for the time being.'

'We can't do that, Joost,' Apson turned from the computers to the blonde. 'What about our reputation?'

'What's reputation when Acid's whispering in everyone's ear anyway? I'll keep driving but if you guys want to make it out of a heist alive, you might want to take a step back for a while.'

Apson hated how logical Joost was. They operated so efficiently because of Joost's level-headed nature and intelligent advice. Apson had known the Klein for years and saw him as a friend, a companion and a guide when things seemed hopeless. It's why Joost was the driver and Apson, Stuntje, Daan, Tantu and Enzo handled the rest.

Alanis did the research behind the scenes, a position that Apson greatly appreciated. She was out of harm's way and after doing all this digging into Roan Colijn, Apson was seeing a similar sentiment in Joost for the other young woman involved.

'Have you found out anything from Elke?' he asked, making his way to stand next to Joost.

'No.'

'Have you asked?'

'No,' Joost's reply made Apson roll his eyes with an exasperated sigh. It made Joost straighten up from the iPad and eye his friend in feigned irritation.

He didn't want to give in but Apson's dramatised reaction made it difficult.

'Roan tried to talk to her while she was at work. She said he scared her and she told him to go away.'

'That's all?'

'That's all she's told me.'

'And how much have you talked?'

The new voice made Apson and Joost turn with raised eyebrows. The question dwindled from the original tone but it was relevant, none the less. But as Alanis swivelled around in her chair, the two young men saw that the girl wasn't really interested in their conversation.

'Regularly enough to know that she's completely in the dark about everything,' Joost said, resisting the fidget in his fingers. 'We're going to Leeuwarden this weekend.'

'Leeuwarden?' Apson was confused. 'Why are you going there?'

'Is it a date?'

Alanis' gasp was loud and a grin ripped through her cheeks. It grew even wider when Joost looked away from Apson and Alanis' gaze. His forefinger tapped the screen purposelessly and the burn of a blush crawled up his neck. He cursed his pale skin which was easily reddened when it was least convenient.