16.

Elke anticipated the day in Leeuwarden. The taste she had of its scenic architecture and beautiful canal promised a unique experience.

She was ecstatic to wake up from her troubled sleep to see the sun shining for once. Winter's heavy rain and icy chil cleared for one day, as if smiling on the fact that Elke wanted to wear something nice and flowery.

In a pale yellow dress that had a bow on its bodice, Elke tried to not sprint to the door when she heard a soft knock. Joost's preemptive text had barely arrived on her phone's lockscreen before he was out in the hallway. With her bag on her shoulder and her hair freshly washed, Elke opened the door with a grin.

'Hey!' she cheered and stepped out of her apartment. Joost gave her the space to lock up all while speechless at the young woman's appearance.

'I don't mind driving today. I know you know the area but you drove last time, so I thought you could have a break,' Elke said, putting her key into the lock. Her rambles went in one ear and out the other as Joost stood behind her. While he had opted for a polo, knee-length denim shorts and an across-body bag, Joost was taken back by Elke.

He couldn't stop his eyes from following where her brown hair shown from the limited hallway's light to where it slipped over her shoulders. The lace-trimmed sleeves and sweetheart cut of her dress left her collarbones and spotless chest on display. A few bruises blotched her legs, making Joost think fondly about Elke's clumsiness.

As Elke put her key away, she turned and caught Joost standing with dilated pupils. Her eyebrows rose and she suddenly grew self-conscious. If Joost's crystal eyes weren't intense enough, being under them without knowing what he was thinking made Elke question her dress choice.

'Is it... is it too much?'

'No! Absolutely not!' Joost's hand flew out to emphasise his words. Although Elke took his breath away, hearing the possibility that Elke would change out of the flattering dress ignited his voice again.

'You look-uh... you look beautiful.'

Outside Elke's apartment, the two stared at each other with flushed cheeks. Their casual neighbourly conversations had been so easy and natural. Even complimenting Elke's appearance felt like something Joost had been born to do. How could he not? She was stunning with her light makeup, perfect smile and effortless beauty.

And when Joost saw Elke smile through her blush and thread her fingers together in front of her, Joost was confident he would be complimenting her more often.

'Thank you,' she said in a shy coo. 'You look beautiful, too.'

Joost laughed.

Elke drove them to Leeuwarden with Joost's directions. He was pleased to get into her Swift and find that the seat was situated in the same position he had fixed it in. As he directed her towards the free parking, Joost had already planned where they would spend the sunny, warm day in his hometown.

The break from The Netherlands' winter brought out the locals and travellers from neighbouring towns. The main square was teeming with people and Elke felt like she was in Amsterdam; only with more families and less stoic faces.

'There's a bakery that I used to go to a lot,' Joost said as they dodged the crowds. 'We can have a drink and some lunch there.'

'Sounds great.'

Elke found herself in front as they slinked in between two crowds. While Joost towered over her from behind, his hand instinctively went to her waist to steer her towards the right.

She had to stop herself from letting out an 'eep!' at the feeling. Joost's hand cupped her side almost in its entirety and she was glad when she didn't feel it leave as they stepped out of the crowd. Joost stuck close to Elke's back and they arrived at the bakery that appeared to be widely renowned in the area.