20.

When Joost came back from his and Tantu's smoke, he was glad to see Elke laughing.

Stuntje had moved to sit on the sofa's armrest. With his sleeve rolled up to his shoulder, he showed Elke the tattoo that Apson dared him to get. The story of too many Jägerbombs and a night out in Berlin was all too familiar.

Elke doubled over to laugh into her hand with Alanis by her side. Apson, Daan and Enzo surrounded the sofa, their efforts to ease the air doing wonders. They laughed along with Elke and Joost's apartment was a drastic difference to how the owner and Tantu left it.

The late hour brought everyone's leave. While the front door sat open, Joost's friends took their time in saying goodbye.

'We live about ten minutes from here so call me if you need me, okay?' Alanis said, holding Elke's hand. Her statement included Apson who was giving a long goodbye to Joost.

Elke appreciated Alanis' sentiment and thanked her sincerely. She watched the girl push Apson out the door, not even noticing Tantu walk by with her backpack by his side. From Stuntje's stories and Alanis' friendly chats, the day's events had slipped Elke's mind.

Elke changed into the clothes Alanis had brought from her apartment. While Joost waited in his living room, she was thankful that her biggest worry now was sleeping in the same bed as him.

His large bed had dark grey covers and his bedside tables were covered in wired earphones, lighters, sunglasses and more. He had apologised about the state of his floor, which Elke could barely see under all the clothes and sneakers. But while standing in her sleeping attire, Elke didn't mind any of it.

Just like Joost had mentioned, a large Stitch plushie caught Elke's eye. She couldn't stand to see it slumped against the wall next to his open drawers. So, before she settled onto Joost's bed, she heaved the blue monster up from the floor and sat with it under the covers.

'You've found my darkest secret,' he joked. The plushie was far more innocent than the other things Joost had to hide. But when Joost walked in, his toothbrush in his mouth, he couldn't resist the sight in his bed.

'You left him on the floor,' Elke scolded playfully. 'That's a sin.'

Joost chuckled and finished in the bathroom. Running a hand through his messy hair, the man stopped just short of the bed.

'Are you sure you're comfortable with this? I really don't mind sleeping in the living room,' Joost looked at the girl sitting with her legs crossed on his mattress.

'Of course. I should be the one sleeping on the sofa but...'

Joost didn't need her to finish. He knew she was terrified at the idea of sleeping so close to the front door. He said nothing about the fact that Elke was seated where he usually slept. If she had picked the other side, Joost would have encouraged her to change, anyway. This meant that if anyone came in, Joost would have direct access to the gun buried in his drawer.

Laying on her back, Elke watched as Joost reached up to pull his shirt off. A heat grew on her cheeks and she turned on her side. The blinds over the window became greatly interesting as she felt the dip of the mattress.

They laid in silence for a moment after Joost turned off the lamp. Elke's eyes drooped, her day of crying leaving them dry and stinging. But she remembered being under her bed frame, her phone clenched in hand and the agonising fear returned.

She rolled over and could make out Joost's bare back. The movement of the duvet and the creak of the mattress made Joost look over his shoulder.

'Are you alright?' he asked, his voice low and thick.