50.

The porch lights of Joost's childhood home lit up the driveway. While his own Volkswagen Golf sat next to Nanda's SUV, the bonnet of Hugo's Nissan was propped open. Joost and Hugo's shadows casted over the engine and a torch sat in the oldest's hand. He held the light up for Joost to see the many parts of the X-Trail, their silence transitioning from a tense to a comfortable one after some painful minutes.

'There's a crack in the exhaust system,' Joost noted, peering through the various pieces to see the cause of the hissing sound. 'You'll need to fix that as soon as possible.'

'Can you do it?'

'I can take it in tomorrow. When are you going home?'

'Not until Tuesday.'

Joost straigthened up from the engine and looked to where Hugo held the torch. The night was cool, the creak of crickets in the hedges being the only sounds. Leeuwarden was so different to Amsterdam. In the city, there was always the sounds of cars or bikes dinging through the streets at any given time. But in the small town, the house that held all three of the Klein siblings for the first time in years was serenaded by it's own ambience.

'Thanks for doing this. Tilli would have a fit if I left it and we were stuck in the motorway's emergency lane,' Hugo said and Joost snickered.

'Knowing your luck, your son would have a fit, too.'

Hugo sounded a familiar laugh and it made Joost do the same tones. Lowering the X-Trail's bonnet, Joost turned and leaned back against the car's front. The hoodie he had pulled on allowed him to stuff his hands into the front pocket. He looked back at the house, spotting the living room through the window.

There, Nanda, Tallulah and Elke were cross-legged on the rug. Joost could see them emmerced in the activities of Hendrick, who wandered between the three with toys in hand. The boy got to Elke, holding out a plastic truck for her to take. She did so with a smile and an exaggerated 'thank you', making Hendrick giggle while running back to his mother.

'You want one?' Joost was pulled from the adorable scene to see Hugo staring with raised eyebrows.

'What?'

'A kid. Are you and Elke planning to...?'

'No. God, no. Not yet, at least,' Joost rushed.

The question threw him off. Joost hadn't even considered having kids and Elke had never mentioned it. They were only just settling into their quiet life after the crazy year they'd had. When Joost felt like they were secure in their jobs and they were happy in their quiet, small-town life, then maybe he would consider the idea of starting a family.

'How did you guys meet?' Hugo decided to say, also looking into the front room with a fond look. 'Or do I not want to know?'

'At a car meet. I nearly ran her over.'

'Charming.'

'It worked, didn't it?' Joost shrugged his shoulders. 'Then we found out we were neighbours. She was dating someone else at the time, though.'

'And you swooped in with the superior Klein genes and badboy looks. You fucking whore.'

Joost couldn't help but cackle at his brother's jab. After the evening's attempts to break Hugo's exterior, the talk was easing. It became natural, just like how they used to be when they were younger. Although Joost was a teenager when Hugo was in his thirties, the two used to be close. And even after years of not speaking, Joost felt like he did then; enjoying time with the man he looked up to even now.

After their laughter died down, Joost swallowed. He had been wondering how he was going to address the situation all night. Now that Hugo was willing to talk to him, Joost felt like it was a good time to say what had to be said.