30.

The hours that led up to Joost and Donnie's bloodied state were eventful.

It felt poetic to park in the empty carpark that had been the location of past meets. When there weren't the rows of sports cars filling the spaces, Joost parked over the white lines to sit horizontally. Out the front of a large warehouse that sold trade equipment during the day, the empty carpark became the space for the long-awaited meeting by night.

Tantu and Donnie stepped out with the blonde. The two weren't Joost's first choice to accompany him, but with Enzo sitting around the corner with Apson, Stuntje and Daan in the Porsche, it came down to functionality rather than comfort.

Joost could trust Stuntje to intimidate, his larger stature being a guard over his shoulder. Just because of their closeness, Joost liked having Apson with him when facing something dangerous. But in this instance, Tantu was the one with the backpack.

He had become the carrier of the orange accessory ever since taking it from Joost's apartmtent. Joost trusted the man who was more reserved than the others with the commodity of the night.

And of course, it was part of the agreement that Donnie was present. He had waited years behind bars for the moment that he could kill the man that had put him there in the first place. Every day, Donnie thought about how he would see the light leave Nathan's eyes. Whatever the opportunity brought, Donnie wanted to make sure that the Belgian never double-crossed anyone ever again.

With a hood over his head, Joost stood in front of his car with his hands in his jumper's pockets. When he pulled the gun out of the glove compartment, he thought about leaving his glasses in its place. He didn't know why, but he liked feeling the frames over the bridge of his nose. They felt like having an extra layer of protection. So, wearing what he used to be insecure about, Joost stared through the lenses at the black WRX.

The familiar Suburu sat parallel to Joost's Impreza over multiple spaces. Stepping out of the driver's and back seats, were two men that the Klein didn't recognise. They wore straight faces and black clothes. They weren't like the amateur men that Joost saw in the next lane on the motorway or in his rearview mirror. As they leaned against their respected doors, they stared back as the passenger door opened on the other side of the car.

Joost saw Donnie stiffen over his shoulder. He had to resist his own fidget and was able to settle with the clenching of his fists. Against the gun in his waistband, Joost's jumper pocket was home to the tattooed white knuckles. He had seen the Belgian while travelling over 100km/hr through car windows but it did nothing to lessen Joost's fury.

Nathan walked around the bonnet and stopped several feet in front of the WRX. With a beanie flattening his long, curly hair, the thin man held his classic, unsmiling expression.

'It's nice to see you, Joost, Tantu,' Nathan said tonelessly before his clear eyes shifted and a smirk ghosted his lips. 'Donnie.'

'Shut the fuck up.'

The venom in Donnie's voice bounced off Nathan without effect. In fact, the smirk grew on his face at the demand.

'I would ask how it's been being back in society,' Nathan continued. 'But I hear Joost has got you right back in the buisness-'

'Enough. We're not here to be belittled.'

As he plainly silenced the Belgian, Joost pulled one hand out of his hoodie pocket to stuff it into his jeans. He pulled out his pack and lighter, prolonging looking back up as he singled out one cigarette to place between his lips. Joost appreciated the restraint Donnie was displaying but it wouldn't last long. There was still an exchange that needed to be done.