Chapter Nine

The next morning, I woke up next to Mom. She was awake, holding my hand and just watching me sleep.

"What're you doing?" I asked.

"Well, Mason's with Jamie and I thought this would be a good time to talk more," she said.

"Look, it was just a bad day yesterday, okay? We don't have to talk about anything," I got up and went to the kitchen.

"We most certainly do. You met Greg and Liam tried to get with you yesterday," she said. "And you think I don't love you."

"I know you don't," I made some cereal. "Can we not do this anymore?"

"You need to understand that I have always and will always love you," she said.

"Sure, Mom," I said.

"What makes you think I don't love you?" She asked.

"Because I have all of his traits," I said. "And as for Liam, it's not like he forced me into anything. He let me go."

"Emma, Greg and you have nothing in common. DNA, that's it. I see you and see a beautiful, mature sixteen year old. Who can be wild most days, but still good," Mom said.

"You don't have to lie to me, Mom," I said.

"But that's the thing, I'm not lying," she said.

"Well you show your love different than most mothers," I said.

Mason came in the door and Mom hugged him. He started talking about his date and I went into my room and locked myself in it. I had no friends, no boyfriend, and hardly a family. Whenever Mason walked into a room, you just had to pay attention to him. I put my headphones in and listened to music.

I knew I was a difficult child growing up. I knew I gave my mom hell. But didn't trouble makers get the attention in movies? It seemed as though no matter what I did, I couldn't get her to turn away from the best thing that ever happened to her. Mason.

I choreographed some dances and danced in my room. I danced my stress away and just didn't allow myself to think about it anymore. I changed my look too. My clothes fit me nice and to most other people, they'd be considered "slut clothes" but I didn't care. I didn't eat anyway, so I was thin.

I got ready and left the house. I looked for a party and realized it was only four in the afternoon. I went to a bookstore and started reading.

"Hey," Ben sat next to me.

"Hi," I responded simply.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Yep," I said, pushing him away. He was only talking to me because he could see part of my stomach.

"Do you need my jacket, or a blanket?" He asked.

"why?" I asked.

"You're clothes shrunk," he said, giving me a blanket the store had and covered me up. He left and I kept reading. I looked at my phone and my mom didn't call to check on me once. Did she even notice my absence? Oh well, I was fine. We talked this morning and she lost interest quickly. Her loss.