Chapter Eleven

I went downstairs and found Ben watching TV on the couch. I wasn't sure what to say. I didn't want to interrupt his show. Commercial came on and he stood and saw me.

"Oh, good, you're up. I was just about to get some chips. Want some?" He asked, going to the pantry.

"Uh, sure, thanks," I said and sat by him.

He opened the chips and put them on the table. "Sleep okay?"

I nodded. "Didn't really sleep, but yeah I relaxed. What have you been up to?"

"This," he nodded his head towards the TV.

"Do you miss your parents? Like, do you think they love you?" I asked.

"Yes. To both. I miss them, but they have to make a living so we don't go broke. And they do love me because they tell me," he said.

"They do?" I asked.

He nodded. "Doesn't your mom tell you?"

"Once," I said. "We don't have the best relationship. Turns out I'm not real good at those."

"What do you mean? You and Liam were together," he said.

I shrugged. "We're not together anymore. He just wanted what most guys want."

"You deserve better," he said.

I managed to laugh and shook my head. "Thanks."

"Have you seen this?" He asked.

I looked at his phone and nodded. "I don't care though. I'm used to it."

"They need to stop. This is cyberbullying and it's illegal," he said, typing.

"Don't get involved," I said. "It'll just make things worse."

"I have a way with words," he said and finished typing.

"Why are you defending me?" I asked.

"Because what they're saying about you isn't true," he said. "Even if it was, it's not any of their business."

"Well, thanks again," I said.

He nodded and we watched TV the rest of the day. Not once did my mom or Mason call to see where I was.