A set up?

Meliodas had studied the possibility of Merlin setting him up. Everything seemed to stem off of her ideas and spiral into an uncontrollable mess.

If so, what is her motive? Why would she do this to him after knowing him for so many years?
Meliodas looked at Merlin who was silently observing everyone who was enjoying theirselves.

Meliodas had began to think about Galand and his strange behavior. Merlin had disappeared with Gowther the night that Meliodas felt the commandments, and they just happened to later run into Galand who left after knocking me out.

Which Meliodas would have definitely thought that Galand would just straight up—kill him. Leaving Meliodas alive was uncharacteristic for the Commandment of Truth.

None of these were quite adding up. Including the fact Merlin hadn't tried to negotiate between Galand as she knows that Galand is way stronger than Meliodas in his current state. Merlin had sealed away the power that Meliodas had. Merlin hadn't at all helped Meliodas during the holy war only showing up in order to get blessings from the demon king AND supreme deity.

She was a liar and a trick. That is what she was good at doing. She didn't contribute much to the Sins anyways so maybe it was time to get rid of her.

Meliodas thought this and his thoughts slowly became more twisted and malicious. There were too many coincidences but he couldn't prove this yet.
He could just be the most unlucky guy to roam this planet.
Though if it truly was so, Galand would have killed him. Meliodas went up to his room and closed the door behind him. He wasn't in the mood to drink anymore and he was too worried that Merlin could be a traitor.