- 34 -

- ADDYSON LOPEZ -

Halos magwala si Hana after I told her that I spent the weekend with Julien. Kumain lang naman kami at nag-aral maghapon, but my friend was acting as if Julien and I had a date. Namumula na ang mga braso ko kakahampas niya. Mas kinikilig pa yata siya sa'kin. I waited for her at the lobby, dahil hindi ko pa rin kayang makita ang kapatid niya. It was Sunday night, and according to Hana, Kuya Sana had an errand to do, naihatid siya nito ngayong gabi.

"Sana all, Addy. Lord, when naman ako?" Hana sighed dreamily as we both climbed into the lift.

And as if an answer, Healer with his girlfriend Hetty, came into view. Magkahawak ang kamay, at pilit na humahabol sa elevator bago ito sumara.

Hana, closer than the controls, punched the open button for the couple to make it inside.

"Thanks." Healer said, offering her a handsome smile.

Hetty nodded and smiled, waving us a hello. She was pretty, too pretty, like a freaking doll. Obviously, the girl was one of God's favorites.

My friend tried to smile, but it didn't quite reach her eyes. Her phone rang, an alarm to remind her of her vitamins. But she picked it up and placed the phone in her ear like she just received a call. "Hello, Ma?"

I could only stare at Hana. She was good at this, done it quite a few times to save herself from potential awkward moments such as this one.

"Kasama ko na po si Addy..." Hana went on, 'talking' to her mom, until we reached our floor. She nodded her goodbye to the pair bago umibis ng lift.

I followed suit and when we rounded the corner, doon pa lang binaba ni Hana ang phone niya. Shoulders slumped, she stared up at the ceiling. "Tinanong ko lang naman kung when ako Lord, bakit naman gano'n ang sagot Mo?"

Softly, I patted her on the back.

For Hana to feel better, bumaba ulit kami at bumili ng isang litrong ice cream sa 7/11. Nilantakan namin 'yon sa condo, habang nanonood ng Harry Potter. The credits of the third movie was showing, when she mentioned the decision she made.

"Addy you know I love you, and I love living with you here, but I have to move out." She stared at her hands, "I can't—hindi ko na kayang magpanggap. I might break down sa susunod na makasakay ko sila sa lift."

Healer was the reason she was here. Noong malaman niya na may condo si Healer sa building sa mismong tapat ng EU, she had asked her parents to purchase one for her as well, in the very same building. Being near the campus was a good excuse, but in truth, Hana wanted to be closer to Healer.

"Chances are high na magkasabay kaming pumasok, we're block mates! O kaya kahit makasakay ko man lang siya sa elevator! Kahit 'yon na lang!" Hana told me once, a little desperately. It never happened though. Healer was part of the basketball team, so he had to leave way too early and come back way too late from their basketball practice and training.

Their paths never really crossed, the first time it happened was when Julien moved in next door, at kasama ko siyang nakasalubong si Healer sa elevator kasama ang Hotties.

Today was the second time, and he just had to be with his girlfriend.

I held her hand. Hana forced a smile for me, she started explaining that her mom wanted her home as well, dahil busy si Kuya Sana at madalang lang din na maka-uwi sa kanila.

"Silang dalawa lang ni papa sa bahay, kaya silang dalawa lang din ang magkaaway. Either my mother wants an ally, another enemy or a referee, there was no telling."

Niyakap ko siya nang mahigpit. I was heartbroken for my friend... but I couldn't help but feel sad. Living with Hana had been my life lately... Julien too, with our little routine of walking to school together and going home...

The house back in Lingmell... was too quiet.

But Hana needed my support. She comes first. "When are we moving out?"

"We?" She gave me a look, "I'm moving out, Addy. You're staying here."

"Huh?" It took me a moment to process what she just said, "This is your condo, Hana."

"And you're going to take care of it for me."

"You're not serious."

"Matter of fact, I am."

"You're leaving me alone." I glared at her. I could tell she'd been thinking about this for quite some time now, and seeing Healer with his girlfriend had made her decision final.

"I won't let you go back to Lingmell! Ang layo-layo mo ro'n! Besides, your prince is here, hindi mo siya pwedeng iwan." She held my hands, and even had the audacity to wink at me. "Baka ito talaga ang purpose ko in life, ang maging cupid."

"Hana—"

"My whole family, especially mom insisted you stay here." Cutting me off, she flicked my forehead. "Ano ka ba, bibisita naman ako palagi. Ayan lang sa tapat ang campus natin oh, duh?"

~💜~

Hana played the cupid role quite well. Before moving out, she invited Julien for dinner, and filled him in the details. Ever the thoughtful friend, muli niya akong binilin dito, na parang nanay na binilin ang anak sa kapitbahay dahil kailangan niyang umalis.

Julien never left my side ever since. We made it a routine to eat together, breakfast, lunch, dinner and the 7/11 runs at midnight. On weekdays, if Hana was free, kaming tatlo ang magkakasabay. Julien even invited Healer one time, a late night run to 7/11 for a midnight snack, but Hana pretended she was sick.

We made progress with our studies too. Thermodynamics wasn't as hard as I initially thought. All thanks to my prince, who had all the patience in the world while helping me. I could survive hell week!

Alone again, muli akong humilata sa couch. I had nothing to do but to sleep, and I needed a bath. Kakatapos lang naming mag-dinner ni Julien, he left after helping me with the dishes, and reviewed our previous lessons as he always did. Para akong nakakuha ng private tutor! At least now, hinahayaan niya na akong ilibre siya ng ice cream. Ang tagal ko siyang pinilit bago ko siya napapayag!

I picked up my phone and messaged my friends but got interrupted by a sudden flash of light and roaring boom. Muntik ko nang mabitawan ang phone ko sa gulat. I stood up and closed the windows, as well as the door to the balcony. There was not a single visible star in the dark sky, at sa lakas ng kulog at kidlat kanina, siguradong anumang oras ay bubuhos ang ulan. Another lightning and thunder, but this time, tuluyan nang bumuhos ang ulan.

A perfect weather to read! I missed Hana though, we loved this kind of night. It was our reading night!

I replied to my Chem-Eng Girlies as several messages popped up–keyboard smash from Marina and Eunice na doon dinaan ang kilig at sigaw nila. The latter could not help herself as she recorded her squeal and sent it to our group chat, na agad umani ng negatibong gif reaction mula kay Blaire. Marina was obviously not contented as well, tatawagan niya raw ako mamaya, she wanted to hear the full details again with my voice, at hindi lang sa message.

Noong medyo kalmado na ang group chat, nagpaalam akong maliligo muna. Exactly a moment after I stepped out of the bathroom, the power went out. Using my phone as a flashlight, that was also low on battery, hinanap ko ang posporo sa kitchen para sindihan ang scented candle sa study, na dahan-dahan kong nilipat ko sa coffee table. Bakit ba hindi pa ako nag-charge habang naliligo?

A new message popped up then.