sign your life away

Bruce sluggishly walked to school. His whole family was acting strange. Like they were hiding something from him. They told him to be out until 5 today and handed him some cash. They made it pretty clear that he was not to go anywhere near the house until that time. Maybe he was being paranoid or just overthinking it. He always did that. He was always trying to look through the lines. See the real image.

The second he stepped foot on the school grounds, he saw his "friends" waiting and chatting in the courtyard. Bruce was quite popular and had a large friend group. He had never told anyone, but he didn't like them a whole lot. They were boring and were only friends with him to make themselves look better. The only person he could stand was Jack. He was laid back and had an overall likeable personality. He had olive green eyes with a brown centre. His hair was jet black, curly, and sometimes got in the way of his eyes. Him and Bruce had been close friends for years. They just got each other.

Bruce sighed as he walked towards them. He greeted them all with a tired hello. He had no energy today.

"Hey, Bruce." Charlotte smiled as she interlocked her arm with his and landed a kiss on his cheek. Charlotte was Bruce's girlfriend of a couple of months. Everyone loved her. Including Bruce. It was hard not to like her. She was kind and generous. She was pretty, too. Bruce loved her deep blue eyes that looked like an ocean. Her blonde long curls that she maintained neat. Her freckles that surrounded her whole face. Her figure was great as well. She was like something out of a movie.

The first bell rang out, and the whole group walked inside. Ready for their first lessons. Charlotte stopped walking outside a classroom. She stood on her tip toes and pulled Bruce into a quick kiss. Bruce and Charlotte didn't have first period together, so this was basically a goodbye. She pulled away from him and entered her classroom.

Bruce went across the hall and into his own lesson. History. It wasn't the worst subject but it also wasn't his favourite. The teacher would speak at a million miles per hour, making it hard for him to get all of his notes down fast enough, and then she would have a go at him for not doing enough work. He sat down at his desk in the back. That was another thing. He could barely see the board. He's asked to move multiple times, but she didn't do anything.

She started the lesson, and Bruce tried his best to get everything thing down whilst also remaining neat and tidy. Bruce had a thing about things being a mess. He hated it. Even detested it. Halfway through the lesson, a receptionist walked in, gaining everyone's attention.

"Can I have Bruce Yamada, please?" She asked in a soft voice. Bruce's head snapped up in confusion. Why was he being called out? He never did anything to get into any trouble. He was a good student and made a point to follow the rules. He stood up nervously as some boys in the class decided to make "oooh" sounds as he walked out.

"Have I done something wrong?" He asked as he followed the receptionist. She didn't answer, making him more anxious. She stopped walking as they reached the principles office.

"Go in." She instructed. Bruce nodded as he walked into the office. There were two other people there. One of them was Robin Arellano. He was slunched backwards in his seat, and his hands were jammed in his pockets. The other boy was Finney Blake. Bruce remembered him from when they were up against each other in a baseball match. This only confused Bruce more. He hadn't talked to both of them recently, and he didn't hang around them. He's only spoken to them a few times.

"Ah! Bruce!" The principal stood up and smiled.

"Am I in some kind of trouble, sir?" Bruce questioned as he took another look at the other two. They looked like they didn't know what was going on ever.

"On the contrary. Please take a seat." He gestured towards the empty seat in front of his desk. Bruce nodded as he sat down. "I've called you three in here because an opportunity has arisen for all of you." He paused as he handed all of them a brochure. Bruce took a look. It was some fancy school. "You guys have been offered a place at one of the top schools in Washington." He smiled proudly.