Twenty-three

TWENTY THREE

We used Jo's car to go to the party. Alex came with us, and it was decided that I would stay sober to take everybody back home. Even though we had the adress, we found the exact house relying on our senses only; the music was so loud we could hear it from at least two streets away, and the Christmas decorations were already up, so the location of the party was as obvious as if the building was screaming "Hey! There's a party going on here!".

To my right, Jane, in a tight little black dress, was cringing. Johannah and I had done our best to make her look beautiful, and the result was stunning. She was already pretty, but she dressed rather plainly, so she went unnoticed by people; tonight, she was going to shine.

"I feel like I'm going to regret this!" She muttered. "Seriously guys, I don't feel comfortable in this."

"Jane, do you want to have a chance with Peter?" Johannah asked, almost threatening, from the front seat.

"Yes." She sighed.

"Well this is the price to pay to be the only one he'll be looking at tonight."

"And he won't be the only one." Alex tuned in, looking at her through the rearview mirror.

"Oh my God..." Jane shook her head.

"Come on, it's only for one night. I tell you, I'm sure he already has feelings for you, this is only the straw that breaks the camel's back; if he doesn't ask you out, or at least to dance or something, he's not worth your time." I told her, patting her back.

"Thanks, Em. You're actually the only one who's kind of being supportive here."

"You're welcome."

Alex parked the car a few meters from the house, and we headed towards the house. As soon as I walked through the door, I started looking for Henry, whom I knew was somewhere near. The entrance was filled with cigarette smoke, so I made my way towards a larger room which I supposed was the dining room. The windows were open; the fresh breeze made it easier to breathe, but the denser crowd, the dark lighting and the loud music made it hard to see.

"Looking for someone?" I heard, as I felt an arm wrap around my waist. I turned around, smiling.

"Looks like he already found me." I kissed Henry gently. He tilted my chin up to deepen the kiss.

"Get a room!" I heard Johannah say. Henry broke our contact to say hi, but kept a posessive arm on my hip.

"Hey." He smiled. "Wow, Jane, you look amazing!"

"Thanks." She answered, blushing.

"Have you seen Peter anywhere?" Johannah asked.

"I know he's here, but haven't seen him in a while. Maybe try the bar?" Henry answered.

"Thanks. Have fun, you two!" Johannah winked.

"Yeah, you too." I answered as they disappeared to a room on our right, pushing through the thick crowd that was blocking the door.

Henry dragged me to the left into another room, where drinks were waiting on a table. Couches were aligned along the walls, and there was more light and fewer people.

"What might I get for the lady?" Henry asked.

"I'll have ginger ale, please."

"Here you go." He handed me a glass. He picked up a bottle of beer. "Are you sure you don't want anything stronger?"

"I'm fine, thanks. Cheers!" I raised my glass to his.

There was a little silence during which we sipped our drinks. Henry was looking at me a little shyly for some reason, balancing from one foot to the other and occasionnally raking a hand through his hair. Finally, he cleared his throat and spoke.