Thirty-four

Previously, in The six-month housemate: Emma's grandmother has had a heart attack, and Emma has left for Paris with Alex to be by her side. While in the hospital, Granny reveals that she has lost all will to live, and her heart attack was helped by the fact that she stopped taking her medicine. She also tells Emma that she's convinced that she and Alex will end up together, because they're in love with each other. Emma leaves the hospital, shocked by her grandmother's suicidal attitude, and questioning her own feelings. She decides to meet up with her best friend Lili the next day to catch up.

THIRTY-FOUR

"Em?" Alex asked after a moment, once we'd gone to bed. I'd installed a spare mattress for him in my room so he wouldn't be bothered if my parents and sisters came back too early.

"Yeah?" I yawned. My grandmother's words were still stuck in my head, and I'd tried to figure out by myself what was happening to me, feeling-wise.

"I just wanted to let you know that you're very brave. I don't know many people who would go through this kind of situation alone. Just do know that you can rely on me if you need anything. Always. Wherever, whenever, just give me a call."

"Is that Shakira and Queen meet Harry Potter?" I chuckled.

"Something like that." I could see the smile playing on his lips through his words.

"Thank you." I smiled. "You know, maybe I don't act like it, but I'm actually really happy that you came with me."

"Glad you changed your mind."

"Granny would like to meet you tomorrow, if it doesn't bother you."

"Not at all."

"And as for what you said earlier, I'll be there for you, too." I smiled.

" 'Cause I'm there for you too?"

"Something like that." There was a small silence. "If ever I don't answer your calls, texts, whatever, do know that it's either because I'm in trouble or I'm doing what I think is best."

"Okay. Good night Em. Sweet dreams."

"Good night Alex."

---

In the morning, Alex and I were woken up by my family members coming in from wherever they had been. They were all very tired, but they still only came via home to drop their bags off, even though I tried to tempt them with at least a coffee. I warned Granny over the phone about the invasion, and she told me to come over in the afternoon with Alex and Lili, so I let my family go without me, while Lili and I went for a brunch in a little Parisian café. We talked about our new lives as students, and then moved on to the serious stuff.

"Lili, I really don't know what to think anymore." I took my head between my hands.

"Em, come on. You really like Henry, maybe even love him, I don't know, but you don't see yourself married to him in ten years, do you?" Lili answered, taking a sip from her drink.

"Nah." I answered immediately.

"So when your grandmother says that Alex is your soulmate, she might not be correct, but she is correct when she says that you and Henry won't last long. And when she says that you and Alex have a tight bond."

"Yeah, I guess."

"And honestly, you had everything planned with Alex, and I bet you don't with Henry."

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I said, stirring my tea a little too quickly, causig a bit of it to spill out.

"Oh you do. Though from what you're telling me, I'm not sure it's ever going to happen." She laughed. "But if you need to be reminded..."