Twenty

TWENTY

In the midst of November, I decided the awkwardness between Alex and I should stop. Since Henry and I had started dating (since the 4th of November, to be exact), he and I had been avoiding each other, only talking to each other when it was strictly necessary. Starngely, we would act like the best of friends when his family was around, and then return to complete silence.

Our relationship was very strange, and still today I struggle to put words on it. I am fully aware that when he wasn't acting weird, I was, and vice versa; he wasn't the only one to be blamed for this whole weirdness.

More than once, I've thought about the possibility that maybe I'd been leading him on the first few weeks I was in London, and that was why he was upset when I'd started dating Henry. Whatever the reason, I was determined to make our friendship work.

It was starting to get cold, however the sun was shining that day, as if even the weather approved of my move. It was a Thursday, Alex's rugby training day. I packed my studs in the bag I used to go to school, just in case, and waited. Thursdays, conveniently, was also the day where he and I started the latest, which meant we were alone in the house for at least half an hour, depending on Patrick and Oliver's departure times.

When I was sure everyone had left, I came down, hoping that Alex would be downstairs. He wasn't, but I heard him come out of his room before I got the time to look for him elsewhere. I put my bag down and leaned against the wall.

Alex stopped when he saw me, eyeing me suspiciously.

"Why do I get the feeling I'm in trouble?" He asked, going to the kitchen.

"Maybe because you're not?" I answered. He rose an inquisitive eyebrow. "Listen, I feel bad because we don't hang out as much as I'd like to."

"And how is that my problem?"

I sighed. "I know you don't like Henry, and I don't mind, but I don't want you hating me. We live under the same roof, for goodness' sake. I'm okay with faking friendship in front of your parents, but please, could that not be something fake?" I pleaded.

He seemed to consider my offer for a second. "What do you have in mind?" He finally asked.

"Just that we hang out. I was thinking maybe I could come to rugby paractice with you on Thursdays. And you said we had to do a karaoke night again."

"Fine. I'll wait for you after Uni then."

"Great. Thanks." I smiled.

He went back upstairs to get his bag. I thought I saw a hint of a smile on his face, but I maybe I was wrong.

--

I said goodbye to Jane before leaving the classroom. I'd told her about my plans with Alex, since during the weekdays, we used to study together. She totally approved of what I was doing.