Thirty-six

THIRTY-SIX

The weather back in London wasn't actually that bad for January. We left for the countryside for a few days before resuming the University routine, which was a nice breath of fresh air. I helped Alex train for the upcoming rugby match; it was nice spending time with him, pushing each other to go beyond our capacities. I took it as a challenge even if in theory I didn't need to. I could do with a bit of exercise to clear my head.

Henry still hadn't been able to make space in his schedule for me. I didn't really mind, but it was getting annoying. The last few texts he'd sent me were very dry and jealous. There were several references to Alex and the amount of time I'd been spending with him during the holidays. In others circumstances, I would've let it slide, maybe even thought his jealousy was kind of cute, but it wasn't as if I'd made the choice of not spending time with him. I just wanted to punch him through my screen. Instead, I kicked more rugby balls, converting everytime.

"Why haven't you joined a team? Even touch rugby?" Alex asked me one day, when we'd finished training. We'd settled in a field next to the house, which was unoccupied due to the cold season. The Sun was setting, which created a pretty magical atmosphere. I knwo it sounds cheesy, but that's how it was.

"I don't know. I guess I wasn't ready yet. Mentally, I mean." I answered, taking off my studs. It had rained in the morning, which meant that they were covered in mud, which had dried during the rest of the sunny day, making it difficult to untie the laces. My hands were frozen, which didn't help. I tugged and tugged, but the knot only tightened.

"Shit." I sat back, sighing angrily. I was starting to get cold, the adrenalin slowly receding.

"Let me get that." Alex hopped off the stone-wall he was sitting on, crouching in front of me. "I think you should go and see Henry, you know. Actually talk to him. I think it would be good for you."

"Why?" I looked at him, patiently getting rid of the mud flakes intertwined with the laces.

"You're very tense, that's all." He shrugged. "You do whatever you want, but I think it would help you loosen up. I noticed that your foot-game wasn't as strong as it usually is. And you no longer know how to untie your shoe-laces, which is a little worrying." He slowly took the shoe off of my foot, and I stretched to get my trainers.

"Other foot." He gestured, and I shifted. He repeated his previous actions, easily untying the shoes.

"I guess I do need to do something." I sighed.

"Call him. Go on a date with him. But first, you should go and have a warm bath. Relax a bit. You've also been under a hell of a lot of stress lately, take a bit of time for yourself too." He smiled, getting up and holding out a hand to help me.

"Thanks." I smiled back. "I'm so glad you're here, Alex. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You know, Keira called me about the wedding, in two months."

"Right, your cousin." I smiled.

"She said she would love it if there was some kind of mini dance and singing from us. So I was thinking, maybe we could organise a little something, you, Jo, Henry and I. Singing and dancing contest maybe? I don't know, but maybe you should ask Henry about it, it will make him take an initiative, he'll see you value him and his advice." Alex seemed nervous. He was rambling, raking his hand through his hair.

"Okay. Thanks for giving him the opportunity." I slid an arm around him, and his automatically wrapped around the small of my back. We walked home, keeping each other warm.

---

After getting back, I finally managed to reach Henry on the phone. He apologised about being so bitter, saying that the lack of personal space during the holidays had kind of gooten to his head. We chatted for a while, me cozying up in my bed and fiddling with the quilt's fringe.