Five

FIVE

The rest of the evening was pretty much uneventful. I had a shower in my new bathroom, which was pure bliss, especially after a bit of sport, then I went down to dinner.

We didn't talk much while eating, firstly because you don't speak with your mouth full, and secondly because the meal was so good everybody ate in religious silence. I didn't know that soup could be so delicious. My mum would just put some vegetables in a blender and serve it after heating, but here, it was so much more. You could literally taste the love Vanessa had for the people she was cooking for in the soup. Then she served an apple pie, and it was so perfect I nearly cried.

Let's sum this up: Vanessa is a great cook.

After desert, before unlaying the table, the parents told us to stay sitting down, because they had something to tell us.

"Kids." Started Patrick. "This week is the last week before going back to school or university."

The boys let out a groan at this reminder.

"However, it is also the week of your mother's and I's wedding anniversary. The timing is not ideal, but since it's been twenty years, I am inviting her on a second honeymoon to Northern Ireland for five days. We are leaving on Tuesday morning, so the day after tomorrow and we are coming back on Saturday morning."

"But what about us?" Asked Tom.

"You and Hugo are going to live with your cousins during that time.You'll come home on Friday night and the elders will babysit you."

"Awesome!" Hugo and Tom high-fived.

"Oliver, Alex and Emma, I think you are old enough to live on your own for five days. We will leave you some money to eat. Mrs Macdonald is going to be checking in once in a while, to see if everything is fine."

"But Dad..." Oliver let out a frustrated sigh. "We're not five anymore! We can handle being alone without being checked on!"

"It's just to make sure you don't get into any trouble sweetie." Vanessa said soothingly.

"Fine." Oliver said, pouting and crossing his arms above his chest.

"And I expect you two to show Emma around a little so that she is not completely lost during the first week." Vanessa added. "But we'll see the rest of the details tomorrow. For now, I think it's time to unlay the table and heading to bed or at least to your rooms."

---

The next morning was mostly about packing/unpacking. While the parents were preparing for their trip, I put my clothes and all my other stuff away. I sent a message to my parents, since I hadn't done so the day before, to say I had arrived safe and sound and that everything was fine. After lunch, Patrick left to bring the two younger boys to his brother's house, whom, I learnt, had three children, two boys of Hugo and Tom's ages and a younger daughter.

During the afternoon, Vanessa indicated to me the closest supermarkets, and told me what I'd probably need for the first week of University. She also explained the basic functionning of the house, including the burglar alarm, which would start ringing if any of the entrance doors were opened after midnight. Then she went back to her activities.

I spent the rest of the day reading and checking my phone for any signs of life from anyone I knew, including my parents. After finishing my book, I just layed down on my bed and fell asleep.

---

I have no idea how much time I slept, but I woke up to the feeling of someone stroking my hair. What the hell?! I cautiously opened my eyes.

"Aha! Sleeping beauty's waking up!"

I jerked up at the sound of Alex's voice and the sight of his face hovering above mine. He was sitting on the edge of my bed, leaning slightly above my head, so my head bumped against his as I sat up.

"Ouch! What the hell?" He asked, rubbing his forehead.

"I should be asking you the same question! What are you doing here?" I answered clutching my forehead.

"We're going out for dinner. I was supposed to come and get you and then I saw you were sleeping, so I was wondering how to wake you up. Damn it girl, your head is really hard!"

"I know. Spared me a lot of trouble." I muttered. The truth is, even if I had a hard head, it was still killing me and I could already feel a bump forming on my forehead. "But don't blame me! You're the one who's not in his righteous place here!"

He stood up and mumbled an indistinct "Whatever".

"You need to come down. See you downstairs." He caught the door before it slammed, closing it, his hand still clutched on his forehead.

Well, that was weird.