Thirty-one

Previously, in The six-month housemate: Alex and Emma have gone on a present hunt to find gifts for all the members of the Dalton family. Emma tried to convince Henry to join them for lunch, but failed. She comforted herself with the fact that she was going on a date with him later in the day.

THIRTY-ONE

In the end, Alex and I decided to pick something up at Marks & Spencers, and headed home to enjoy the afternoon inside. It was snowing again, and we just knew that home was always the best solution. While the fish and chips were cooking, we went to the basement to choose a good movie to watch.

Because, of course, the Dalton's perfect house had a home-cinema. With really comfortable setees and fluffy blankets. The choice of the movie was really tough: things get complicated when you have too many films to choose from, and two people who just don't have the same opinion. I was feeling like watching something romantic, possibly something with action, but Alex saw things differently.

"Come on, why don't you want to watch the Shining? It's one of the best movies ever made! Not to mention that it fits the season."

I snorted. "Nope. No way you're making me watch that."

"But why?" He whined. "Jack Nicholson is so good in this film!"

"I'll give you that, but I won't be traumatised again." I shook my head obstinately.

"Again?"

"One of my teachers made us watch it when I was eleven. The day before the Christmas holidays? Trust me, I've seen enough of those freaky twins."

Amusement glistened in Alex's eyes as he watched me trying to convince him. I could see he was doing his best not to burst out laughing, an unimpressed smirk on his lips.

"Okay, fine, I won't ruin another Christmas for you. Even though I don't believe it's that frightening."

"Little reminder: I was eleven." I repeated, glaring at him. You don't mess with me and the Shining; hell, Kubrick even manages to make a freaking car going up a freaking mountain frightening. Especially when you're young, in a dark room, with the music at full volume.

"Okay, okay." He raised his arms in submission. "In other circumstances, I would've said that you're older now, but I'll just shut up." He winked, taking out the Love Actually DVD.

"Now, that's a reasonnable choice!" I grinned.

As I installed the film, Alex went to get the food. Love Actually was the movie I watched every Christmas with my best friend Lili. This year, however, since I wasn't going back to France, Alex would have to do. And he did an admirable substitute; he knew the best parts off by heart, and once the movie ended, we reenacted Hugh Grant's dance as Prime Minister in the house, which was absolutely hilarious.

We both agreed that Thomas Sangster was adorable, and Alex admitted he made him think of some kid he knew. I tried getting more information on the said child, but he remained as quiet as a grave.

We lazed around the rest of the afternoon, grateful for the holidays. The other members of the family came home one by one, and soon, it was time for me to get ready for my date. Henry had told me I should dress a little fancy, so I took out a short midnight-blue bustier dress with an empire waistline, which was underlined by a black belt. I'd only worn it a couple of times, and people had complimented me on how chic I looked, so it seemed like a good choice to me.

I curled my hair, as I knew how much Henry liked my curls, and went down ten minutes before he was supposed to pick me up. Alex was already downstairs, looking rather classy himself in a dress shirt and jacket, casualised with dark jeans. He watched me with an emotionless face as I hurtled down the stairs.