Twenty-nine

TWENTY-NINE

Thursday's rugby training came around pretty quickly, which was a nice way to end my finals' week. Some people still had exams the next day, so everyone really gave it all, either to evacuate the stress that was still remaining, or to forget about University for a few hours.

"Kids, please round up. I need to have a word with you before you head home." Coach called after we'd put away all the equipment.

Seems like everyone wants to talk this week, I thought. We stood in a circle around him, which wasn't particularly exceptionnal; every week, he would make a little speech about the training, and since I had to wait for Alex to go home anyway, I'd grown accustomed to staying and listening. When it started getting cold, the boys actually acted like human radiators, so it was better than standing alone on the side.

"First of all, thank you for coming tonight. I know you guys - and girl..." the coach continued, nodding in my direction, "... are going through exams, and since this is our last 2014 training, you might've overlooked it to study, but you didn't, so thank you. Secondly, even though there won't be an official training for the next three weeks due to holidays, I would advise you to train a little nevertheless. I'm not asking for much! Just a couple of push-ups, crunches, a bit of jogging... Just stay in shape. Do remember that we have our annual international tournament coming up in January, and I expect you to be performant, one practice won't be enough if you ate too much. Which leads me to my last point: Merry Christmas! Happy new year everyone! Ang good luck for those of you who still have exams tomorrow. Enjoy your holidays!"

We clapped, and the boys ran back to the changing rooms, while I stayed behind to pack my equipment.

"Emma?" The coach approached me.

"Yes, coach?" I stood up, lifting my bag on my shoulder.

"Do you have something planned on the first week-end after the break?"

"I don't think so..." I took out my phone and checked my calendar. "Nope, free as can be!"

"Good. If you don't mind, I'd like you to come to the tournament on the Sunday: there's a French team coming this year, and I could do with a translator."

"No problem, I'll be there."

"Thank you. Now, enjoy your holidays!"

"Thanks! Merry Christmas, coach." I smiled. He patted my back, and, spotting Alex at the entrance of the changing room, I went to join him next to his motorbike.

"Did you know a French team was coming to the international tournament?" I asked him as I put my helmet on.

"Yeah, coach mentionned it. It's like a neo-V nations' tournament. Maybe one day they'll convince an Italian team to join us, and it'll be an amateur VI Nations' tournament!"

"That would be fun."

"Yeah. Now, hop on! We have a bit of brainstorming to do before tomorrow."

The next day, since neither he nor I had exams, Alex and I had agreed to go present-shopping. I'd also told Vanessa and Johannah I'd be joining them on the Saturday, to get any missing gifts (which I had no doubt would be Alex's).

"Okay." I climbed behind him, and he drove us home.

---

Once we'd eaten and had our showers (separately, don't start speculating things), Alex and I gathered in his room; it was a little bigger than mine, and just as cozy. His window overlooked the street and the houses, illuminated with Christmas decorations. The foot of a single person's bed faced the door, against the right wall. Alex's desk was situated on the left when you came in, and he had a Fatboy in the far left corner, next to his bookshelf. The walls were plain white, but above his desk was a patchwork of rugby posters and articles. I smiled as I read some of the titles, that I knew off-by-heart as I had the same in Paris.

Alex moved some stuff around on his desk, grabbing a couple of pens and some paper. He handed me a notebook to support my sheet of paper when I'd be writing, and then proceeded to move his Fatboy so it would face his bed.

"Take a seat, milady." He winked. I dropped into the seat, sighing in comfort.

"I'm not sure I'll be able to get up again. I feel like I could just fall asleep right now." I yawned, shifting to a more comfortable position.

"I didn't invite you to my room so you could sleep- we're supposed to work, remember?" Alex replied, throwing a pillow in my direction.

It missed me, but landed close enough so I could grab it. I tucked it under my head and faced him.

"Fine." I sighed dramatically.

"Okay, who should we start with?"

"I don't know. Do you have any idea of what everyone's getting everyone?" I asked.

"Hm." Alex scratched the back of his head with his pen. "Oh, yeah. Let's start with Tom- Dad and Mum are getting him a skateboard, among other things, and I think Hugo and Oliver are getting him something linked, like stickers and protections."

"Protections?"

"Tom is not very good at skateboarding. Practice makes perfect, but there's still a long way to go; he's going to need those protections."

"You're just being mean."

"No I'm not! I'm speaking the truth, when have you ever heard me say anything mean about my brothers?" He asked angelically.

"Don't get me started." I laughed.

"I won't, because there's nothing to say on the topic, and anyway, that's not the point of our conversation."

"Yeah, yeah... Anyway, if he's getting stuff linked to his skate, maybe we should try getting him something different?"

"Like what?"

"Does he like to read?"

Alex looked at me disapprovingly. "Honey, one does not simply "like" to read in this family."

I rolled my eyes. "Okay. What books has he read that he really enjoyed lately?"

"The Harry Potter series. Percy Jackson. Heroes of Olympus. A French series about kids being able to travel in the human body." Alex started listing.

"Has he tried the Kane Chronicles?"

"Nope. Well that's settled, then." He scribbled something down on his sheet of paper.

"Okay, one down, four to go."

We brainstormed for about an hour. We decide to get Hugo the two first books of a detective series, so that if he liked the first, he could read the second book without waiting (Harlan Coben is a master of cliffhangers at the end of books). Oliver was a little more tricky, but we finally decided to go for a bottle of his perfume, because apparently he didn't have a lot left.

"What about your Mum and Dad?" I asked, yawning, while I looked at my watch. It was already 11pm.

"You know what? I think you should go to bed. We'll find something tomorrow. We'll go to the Waterstones next to Picadilly Circus, and we'll see what we find nearby."

"Sounds like a good plan." I got up and stretched, before heading towards the door. I turned around just before I exited the room. "Good night, Alex. Sweet dreams full of Johannah."

"Go to bed, de la Tour." He chuckled. "Sleep well."

I smiled, and shut the door behind me.

Sorry for the short update! I thought it was better than waiting another week (or more...) for something a little longer. I hope you liked it, do vote or comment if you feel like it! 

Thank you for reading this far :) I'm not sure when I'll be updating next, as I have a lot of exams coming up in the next two weeks, but I'll try updating ASAP, or at least make the wait worth it (maybe a long chapter?). Anyway, I hope you'll have a nice week-end!

Cheers, the_rugbywoman :)

P.S.: If some of you are watching the rugby world cup (which starts tonight! I'm so excited :D), don't hesitate to PM me if you feel like commenting on the results, the teams, or anything!