- TWENTY-SIX -

Damon always thought James hated casinos simply because of the loud music and the nonstop alcohol and money. James wasn't one of these party animals and enjoyed simpler things like a glass of cold beer and a good movie. You would never see him dance in a club or make out drunk with a random chick in the corner of a bar.

When James was twenty-one or so, he worked at a casino as part of the security team. God knows how many terrible things crossed his young eyes. Sometimes he had to kick people outside or beat them up because they were cheating at the games. There were times that wives would catch their cheating husbands with prostitutes and create a whole scene, and James had to calm the spirits down even if he hated it. Plus, the constant loud music was driving him insane; he had to visit a doctor to check his hearing multiple times.

When the doors opened, a wave of strong alcohol and expensive cologne hit James' nostrils. He brought his arm close to his nose for a couple of seconds, coughing unused to such strong smells. Damon laughed before patting his friend's shoulder twice with a grin. Lazaro was in front of them, walking relaxed with his hands in the pockets of his pants. He didn't look affected by the music and lights at all.

A smirk took over his lips as he opened his arms, seeing a man by the bar. The man grinned as he stood up, rushing towards Lazaro. They exchanged a handshake and some laughs before turning towards Damon and James.

"Guys, this is Giovanni Perego, a good friend of mine and also the owner of this whole thing!"

Lazaro spoke with a wide grin as Giovanni laughed, his eyes falling on Damon a couple of seconds later. Lazaro pointed at his nephew with his fingers talking close to Giovanni's ear.

"Giovanni, the is my nephew, Damon."

"Damon, you said? A pleasure to meet you, Damon!"

The drug baron shook the grey-haired man's hand with a smile.

"The pleasure is all mine, Mr Perego!"

"Oh, call me Giovanni, it's fine!"

Giovani laughed before turning to James; his usual smile disappeared as he scanned the hitman with his hazel eyes. James gulped, seeing the man's face changing emotions quickly. He raised his hand for a shake; the Italian man grabbed it quickly, shaking it before patting James' hand with his free one.

"You must be James... Vitale."

"Yes, that's me, Giovanni."

James laughed, but the man growled in return holding the hitman's hand with more strength before letting it go. James saw the bitterness on his face even if the lights were changing colours quickly.

"Who told you to call me by my name, kiddo? No respect for your elder ones, hu?"

James said nothing in return, sitting there confused. He started playing with his fingers in discomfort, not knowing what to say back. Giovanni laughed before patting James' shoulder harshly. The man received in return some awkward giggles from the hitman.

"I'm just kidding, James; calm down! You must be Deetra's boyfriend, hu?"

James nodded quickly, pushing his hands in his pants pockets.

"You got the best girl, James! You have no idea how many men wait for you to be gone to take your place!"

Giovanni grinned abroad as James gasped softly, not knowing how to react. He glared around, still laughing in awkwardness, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Deetra is truly a diamond; I can see why they want her...."

James shrugged while talking; both Lazaro's and Giovanni's eyes were on him. Giovanni smiled before pushing Damon and James deeper into the casino; both the men were glancing around. Damon's face lit up when he saw a poker table, and a smirk took over his lips, looking forward to joining the men sitting around it. On the other hand, James wasn't that fascinated by the games and chuckled in disgust when he saw some women sitting by the bar. They were checking him out with giggles and big smiles mumbling about him. They were probably prostitutes or gold diggers.