Kocho Kanae x Female Reader

Requested by: -Sketchist-

Summary: you and the Flower Pillar had known each other for years.  To others, your feelings for each other were more than obvious.  To one another, not so much.  Kanae finally had enough of hiding how much she truly cared about you.

Hiding who you were was less difficult than people thought.  That had been Kanae's experience, at least. 

In all the stories, it was always 'The truth will set you free', or some similar message.  The wicked lied, and the good exposed them for the phonies they were at heart.

But Kanae was sure she wasn't evil.  She protected humanity from demons.  She showed kindness to the demons themselves, for crying out loud.  There's no way she could be considered evil.

Neither could you.  No way.  You were an angel, sent to this world to bring about love and peace.  That's how Kanae felt, anyway.  But you were also lying, an immoral companion to Kanae's corruption.

But what choice did either of you have?  As it was, you were both barely tolerated by the other members of the Demon Slayer Corps.  

For even if you tried your hardest to conceal your true identity, both you and Kanae were doomed to fail.  Your unnatural closeness with each other was so clear to the same people you wished to hid it from.  The best option was to sever your bonds entirely.  

But neither of you were willing to do so.

So you were left with the quiet moments in between.  Making flower crowns for each other around Kanae's estate.  Making dinner and eating it together, almost as if you were a real family.  

There were the moments where, just for a little bit, she let herself go.  Where her lips pressed against yours, and was able to forget the harsh realities of the world.  Where there was no hatred, no demons, nothing but two people in love.

Kanae wished, more than anything, that those moments would last forever.  She prayed, day and night, to gods that never responded.

333 words