19. shadows of doubt

╭┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈𑁍ࠬ┈┈┈┈╮2

2.16: there's the rub
19: shadows of doubt
╰┈┈┈┈┈𑁍ࠬ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈╯

✨ ☕️ ✨

    "I think I made a mistake getting back together with Blaze."

    Hearing those words out loud terrified her. It was the first time she'd actually voiced it, though the thought had been running through her mind ever since they got back together. Things weren't working between them. The tension from before still lingered, and she wasn't sure if it would ever truly go away. They should've talked it through before diving back into their relationship—addressed the reasons for the breakup in the first place. But they didn't. Instead, they slipped right back into their old patterns, hoping time had healed wounds that still festered beneath the surface.

Maybe that was the problem. Their relationship was supposed to end in Chicago. The timing of their move to Stars Hollow felt too coincidental. They should've seen the signs, but she ignored them. Maybe it was her fault for taking him back. She was blinded by the history they shared, the fact that he was her first—her first everything. Without him, she wouldn't have known what love even was.

    Since the incident with her now ex best friend Agnes, she did try to forget about it. Her love for Blaze was a lot stronger than some kiss but she'd be lying if she said she's forgotten all about it. And maybe that was another reason why getting back together with Blaze was a mistake. She couldn't forgive him for it.

Her dad knew the conversation would've come up eventually. He may have not been around as much recently but he could sense things haven't been going swell, "Does this have to do anything with Jess?" Her eyes shoot up, at the mention, almost as annoyance than anything but her dad explains himself, "I don't mean it that way. I was trying to say, I noticed how Blaze reacted to his name the other day. And that one time you two argued, Lorelai did mention it was over Jess."

     "I'm tired of this being the topic of every situation. This town. Blaze. Everyone." Everleigh runs her hands through her hair, exhaling sharply.

    "But there is a pattern."

    "I'm just tired fighting over someone who is my friend. Blaze never seems to accept that," Everleigh says and her dad presses his lips firmly together, squinting. "I feel like that's all we fight about and I'm tired of it."

    She hadn't realized how drained she felt until she said it out loud. Her dad gave her a long look, like he was measuring his words carefully, trying not to push too far, too fast.

"Permission to speak?" Her dad asks gently. She rolls her eyes but nods her head, "Have you two considered to sit down and talk out the issue?"

    "What issue?"