fortysix.

"Don't hate me."

We've been away from Monaco for over a week now, due to a double-header with COTA and then Mexican GP. It's been nearly a year since my last tour ended and, for some reason, I forget how physically taxing travel can be. I had nearly run all the way from Mclaren to Red Bull and I was out of breath.

Maybe I should get back in the gym to work on my endurance?

Max stopped his last-minute preparation routine – we're about an hour out from the race – and walked over to me, kissing my temple. "I mean, I don't think I have it in me to hate you anymore, but what did you do?"

"I might've told your daughter about what trick or treating was." I nervously laughed, "And when she got overly excited and begged to go I might've emailed your pilot updated flight plans to tak us to Wilmington after the race tonight so that Lili can go trick or treating in my childhood neighborhood."

Fuck, I'm rambling.

His jaw fell open, I'm hoping it's because of how much I just said in so little time and not what I did. "Ok, so... I don't hate you, but I was looking forward to sleeping in my own bed when we were meant to go to Monaco after... and I'm not the biggest fan of my daughter getting loads of candy."

Shit.

He's mad.

I definitely should've thought before I made all of these plans or at least ran it by him first.

"But the idea of Lili dressed up in a costume and us walking with her to get candy is kind of adorable."

Wait.

He's not mad.

I could feel my face light up, "Oh good, because I wasn't going to be the one to tell your daughter that we weren't actually going anymore. She's also extremely excited to see my parents again."

"Even though she saw them last weekend." Another kiss to my temple, "Ronnie and Dana are great, though, I can't blame her."

Max went back over to a closet in the room, reaching for something. I ventured over to his small couch, wanting to relax for a minute before I stand for the entirety of the race – Lili asked that we watch from the garage this time.

"Wait, Ri." Max spun to face me. I looked at him with a raised brow, "What about a costume?"

I folded my hands under my chin and leaned on them, "Lili gave me plenty of ideas of what she might want to be and I told my Mom who is currently out looking for a last-minute costume for her honorary granddaughter."

I watched as Max's eyes watered. "She thinks of her as a granddaughter?" Fuck, I wanted to cry at the sight of him tearing up.

Why did I not realize how much that would mean to him?

"Of course!" I stood up from my spot on the couch, crossing the small space between us and pulling my boyfriend into a hug. "Mom and Dad both do, they love Lili like their own."

~~~~~~

"Are you ready, Daddy?"

We were sitting in my childhood home, Max and I. We'd gotten in late last night and Dad picked us up – even though I begged him to let me order an Uber. I'm not sure Max, Lili, or I woke up before noon today. But now it's just after dinner and Mom deemed it time to go trick or treating – apparently the families in the neighborhood start around 6:30.

"I'm ready, Liefje!" Max called out, the biggest smile on his face.

Lili and my Mom were in my old bedroom, getting her ready in her costume. The 5-year-old swore me, my Mom, and my Dad to secrecy of what her costume was. She said she wanted her costume to be a secret from Max for as long as possible – now she was ready to show him.