fortynine.

"Merry Christmas."

I could hear Max's raspy morning voice in my ear as I woke up. We were in my bedroom in the Wilmington house – I'd begged him to spend Christmas in North Carolina seeing as i've never spent the holiday away from my parents. He took very little convincing once I told him we could invite his Mom to come with us.

I rolled over, letting myself take in his morning appearance. "Merry Christmas." I smiled.

Christmas.

My favorite holiday.

There was just something about it that made me so unbelievably happy. I think it had something to do with how cozy and family centered it was. I don't know, Christmas has just always been it for me.

Max reached over and brushed my hair out of his face. "I think my Mom is making breakfast." His voice was still a whisper as his fingers lightly ran across my cheek. "I also think that Lil is still asleep, hopefully."

I giggled, she was so excited before going to bed last night that it took her til nearly midnight to fall asleep. She was over the moon about the fact she was spending Christmas in North Carolina and not somewhere in Europe. Apparently, spending Christmas away from home was the coolest thing ever.

Since Ella and I decided to keep the house here, Max decided it wouldn't be that bad of an idea to stay here for Christmas and the week or so after.

"Hopefully." I whispered back, enjoying our time together. The calm before the chaos.

He leaned over and kissed me softly before returning to just staring at me. If I wasn't convinced before now that he was in love with me, the look he's giving me proves it.

Max opened his mouth to speak but was cut off when the door swung open. Oh, geez, she's awake.

I couldn't help but laugh as Lili climbed up on the bed, throwing her hands up in the air in excitement, "Oma is making breakfast, wake up!" From the looks of it, she's been up for a while. Thankfully, Sophie kept her out of here until now, which probably meant that breakfast was closer to being ready than we thought.

Max leaned forward and hooked an arm around his daughter, pulling her down between us. Lili squealed as we both wrapped her in a hug. It was like we were a proper little family.

Speaking of family, Max's sister – Victoria – and her family would be joining us in a few days and staying through New Year's, same with Ella and Lando. Christmas was different this year for all of us, but a good different.

"All right, you three." Sophie spoke from the doorway, "I sent her in here to collect you two for breakfast, not cuddle." She wanted to look mad at us, but the smile on her face was a dead giveaway that she probably never would be.

Max groaned, rolling out of the bed. His plaid pajama pants hung low on his hips as he reached for the green long-sleeve he refused to wear to bed last night. "We're coming, Mama."

He walked over to her, kissing her cheek. Max then sent Lili and me a look letting us know that we needed to follow – and we did. It was just something about that look that got us both to listen immediately.

Lili and I were in matching pjs for Christmas – plaid pajama shorts with matching tank tops. Max's pants matched our outfits.  A gift from my Mom. Every year we always had new Christmas pajamas, this year was just the first year she was able to get me matching ones with someone.

Arriving in the kitchen, I gasped at the sight of the spread Sophie had made. I guess she took me saying I usually only ate a big breakfast and big dinner on Christmas to heart. "Sophie, this is insane."