🌸 Chapter 5

After I managed to get my hearing back from her shriek, I explained how I learned Alex's name. She said the universe was conspiring.

September 18th

It's been a week since I first saw him.

Alexia texted me that she'd be coming in the second period because she overslept, so I walked to school alone. At some point, I saw him appear from an alley, and our eyes met. He kept walking ahead of me, and I stayed a few steps behind, trying to be discreet.

When I got to the school assembly, I found the girls—Evelyn and Eliana. We said good morning, then went into our classrooms. I sat at my desk with Lisa, and after a while, I felt someone standing next to me. I turned my head and saw Achilles.

"Good morning" he winked, and I wanted to puke.

"Morning" I replied indifferently and turned back around, but then I felt his hand grab my face and turn it toward him.

"I'm right here"

I immediately slapped his hand away.

"Don't touch me" I glared at him, but he just laughed.

He didn't say anything. Just laughed and went to his desk with Michael.

As usual, Lisa didn't say a word. She kept her head down, pretending not to hear or see anything. She's not exactly the bravest person. I'm afraid if they ever treated her the same way, she wouldn't be able to stand up for herself.

At recess, I met up with Alexia, who had her backpack on her shoulders. We chatted a bit, and after she dropped her backpack in the classroom, we headed out to the schoolyard together.

During the third period, we had to switch classrooms to attend the economics track. Alexia and I grabbed our bags and slowly started walking toward the classroom, where we were together.

As we walked, I spotted Alex with his group. Finally, I could call him by his name. He was talking to a friend, his back to us, so he didn't see us.

"Now you're going to lock eyes" Alexia whispered in my ear as she weaved through the crowd.

The path was blocked on my side by kids in the hallway, so I went through the only gap available, right between him and the wall. But just as I was about to pass, he leaned back against the wall while talking, blocking my way.

I stood there close to him, but he kept chatting with his friends and didn't notice I wanted to get by.

It would've been so easy to just open my mouth and say, "Excuse me..." so he'd see me and step aside. But I was too shy, and the words wouldn't come out.

His friend saw me and lightly tapped Alex on the shoulder to pull him aside and let me through. That's when he turned his head, and our eyes met up close.

I passed behind him with my head down, looking for Alexia.

"Hey!" I said anxiously, explaining what had just happened.

"I would've told him, 'Move, bitch!'" she flipped her hair like a diva, and I rolled my eyes. Yeah, right, like she would actually say that. She just loves teasing me.

We went into the classroom and sat at our desk. I must've looked like a scared puppy.

"I felt like I was gonna pass out"

She laughed. "Oh, come on, shy little Nef. How are you going to act if you two actually talk?"

"No way!" I panicked just thinking about it.

A sly smile spread across Alexia's face. "I think someone's got a crush..."

"Shut up" I shot back immediately, feeling like I'd turned beet-red.