🪷 Chapter 8

Our hands were locked in a handshake, and we stared into each other's eyes. The moment I realized I should pull my hand back, he did the same.

"You still haven't given me a proper apology" he smirked, and I couldn't help but get lost in that smile.

"But... I did apologize. And it wasn't my fault I bumped into you. I got pushed" I muttered shyly, staring down at my feet.

"I'm not talking about the club" he said, and I immediately looked up at him, confused. "Do you know how long it took for my clothes to dry? Not to mention my hair..." he continued with that same sideways grin, leaving me shocked.

He's talking about the first day... When I was chasing Max and kicked the water bottle, soaking him... Oh God...

"Uhh... Yeah..." I wanted the ground to swallow me when I remembered, "I did apologize!" I said more confidently.

"Yelling 'sorry' from a distance doesn't exactly count as a real apology" he teased with a mischievous smile, moving even closer.

I was literally on the edge of the bench, and with his movement, I nearly fell off. I tried to steady myself, but my awkward attempt to grab the air was obvious when he caught me by the arm, holding me up, laughing.

"Don't laugh! And move over!" I complained, and he shifted to the other side of the bench, still grinning.

"As you wish. Better now?"

Oh, you'll see... If I knew you better, I'd handle you differently...

These thoughts brought a devilish grin to my face.

"So? Is the apology coming anytime soon?" He seemed to be enjoying this.

I matched his playful expression. "You gave me that nasty look, and you're expecting an apology from me?"

It felt like we'd known each other forever. I felt so at ease. We shared the same energy, the same teasing vibe.

"If you hadn't soaked me, I wouldn't have given you that look" he shrugged, acting all innocent.

"It was just water. You're not made of sugar"

"Of course I am" he smiled, his hazel eyes locking onto mine.

I stared back, completely out of words.

He won...

"What's wrong? Run out of lines?" He ran his fingers through his black hair and slid closer on the bench, though this time there was a normal amount of space between us.

Just then, three girls from junior class came out of the bathroom and sat on another bench nearby. Apparently, we weren't the only ones running late.

"What class do you have next?" I asked him.

"Physics. You?"

"General math"

"Oh yeah, you guys have tracks too. What track are you in?"

"Economics. You? What are you thinking of picking next year?"

"Definitely science. I'm no good with theoretical stuff"

"Like 90% of the boys..." I teased.

"Yeah, true," he chuckled softly before continuing, "How did you do on Thursday's exam?"

"Huh?"

"Thursday, at tutoring. What test did you take?"

"Oh... Computer science. Did you see me?" I asked, even though I was sure he had.