3| Trapped

Nahum 1:7 NIV

[7] The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him,

BIBLE APP:

https://bible.com/bible/111/nam.1.7.NIV

NIV

Edward’s POV

The school’s hum of voices, the shuffle of feet, and the scrape of lockers filled the air as students migrated towards the cafeteria. I walked silently alongside my siblings, hands tucked into the pockets of my jacket.

My mind, however, wasn’t truly here. I wasn’t really focused on the sounds around me or even on my family’s conversation—my thoughts were elsewhere, tangled in a confusing web I couldn’t seem to unravel.

We hadn’t gone far when Alice’s teasing voice cut through the fog in my head. “You really went all out this morning, Edward. Bella’s loved it.”

I barely registered her words, but my gaze flicked over to her, eyebrows slightly raised. Alice was grinning at me, her eyes sparkling with amusement.

Rosalie shot me a knowing glance, one corner of her mouth lifting into a smirk as she ran her fingers through her long blonde hair.

“You’re looked awfully sharp today,” Rosalie added. “Must’ve been quite the night with Bella, huh?”

I stiffened, a pang of discomfort shooting through me at the sound of Bella’s name. Instinctively, I tried to mask my reaction, offering a weak smile in response.

I wasn’t sure what to say. The truth was far more complicated than I could explain to them in this moment.

Emmett joined in next, his loud chuckle booming in the hallway. “You know, you could at least pretend to be tired after a night with your girl.”

A surge of guilt, sharp and biting, rippled through me. I should have felt flattered, maybe even smug. I should have felt something   —anything other than this gnawing discomfort that was growing inside me, threatening to spill over.

Bella. My chosen mate, my blood singer. The person who, not too long ago, was my every thought and desire. So why… why did her touch, her voice, her presence now feel more like an obligation than a comfort?

“I didn’t—” I started, but Jasper, ever perceptive, glanced at me with furrowed brows.

“Something’s off,” he muttered under his breath, too low for the human ears around us to hear. His golden eyes met mine, his tone serious. “Edward, are you alright?”