|| musain

pov: éponine

i roamed down the sidewalk on my way to school, clutching the strap of my grey backpack so tight that my knuckles were turning startlingly white.

my gaze fell to the sidewalk as my feet stepped over the crevices. i began counting the number of cracks in the concrete... one, two, three...

i stopped on 24 and lifted my head to figure out where I was.

i had moved to paris from montfermeil in july. it was now september. judging from the size of this city, i'll never know my way around.

i realize that i'm nearing the entrance of the school- musain high. rumors had circulated around my neighborhood that this was where the rich schoolboys who didn't want to go to private school went, but i wasn't sure whether it was true.

i cut the corner sharply as i walked down the pathway that led to the front doors. i took my first real look of the building. it was big, for a start, constructed from hundreds of thousands of bricks with towering white columns made of marble, a grand stairway, large red doors... and a red banner dangling from the gutters that read, 'Welcome Back, Students!'

i was a little excited for my upcoming year.

my mind whirled with thoughts. i was attempting an approachable look for the year. i tightened my ponytail a bit and loosened my beatles tee shirt from the restriction of my shorts. i plastered an inquisitive expression on my face. i had to make a good impression here, or else i'd be a total outcast until college came around.

i ascended the staircase, watching my feet. i stole an occasional glance from the other students, but i took an exceptionally long one from a boy with thousands of freckles and caramel colored coiffed hair.

i reached the doors. i began to walk down the hallway rather slow, taking in my surroundings and keeping an eye out for my locker.

it seemed to take forever before locker 803 appeared in my peripheral vision. i abruptly stopped and turned on my heels to head over to it. i had my combination in the pockets of my shorts, so i pulled it out and twisted the knob in the same order. when it swung open, there were already a few books laying in there with a coating of dust on the covers. i blew on them and dust went flying.

i shuffled through my bag and propped my schedule up on a stack of books. first i needed to find my english class. i tucked the english textbook in my backpack and slammed the locker shut. i began my walk to the classroom, though i wasn't sure where it was located.

you see, my parents wouldn't bring me to orientation. i didn't receive the tour around the school that everyone else was offered.

as i scrutinized numbers on each door, a loud shout echoed throughout the hallways.

"coufeyrac! grantaire! that's the paper i need for english! give it back!"

my head whipped around to see the origin of the noise. i barely had time to warn myself before a body collided with mine. i could see blonde curls and blue eyes before i lost my balance.

my bag slid off of my arm and my books spilled out of it. i guess i forgot to zip it up. i landed flat on my back and pain reverberated through my body. i rubbed my aching head as i slowly sat up.

"i'm so sorry," i apologized frantically, though i already appeared to be a complete idiot.

the boy let out a small chuckle. "it's fine, i'm technically the one who ran into you." he leaned across me to gather up my books- and i was instantly hypnotized. his hair was blonde and curly, his blue eyes were all twinkly, and his subtle red hoodie with the golden zipper was absolutely mesmerizing.

"don't worry..." i muttered anxiously as he passed the books to me.

his expression turned to an interrogative one. "did grantaire tell you something?"

i smiled and shook my head. "no. this is actually my first day, and you're the first person who's even glanced in my direction."

"oh, um... your nose is... uh..."

i lifted my hand to my nose, and sure enough, my fingertips glistened with blood.

"there's still a good ten or so minutes until class. i can take you to the nurse, if you'd like."

i shook my head. "oh, no, thank you. i'll be fine."

he cocked an eyebrow. "well, what's your plan, then?"

"you know, a paper towel, maybe some water..." i shrugged. "i'm éponine, by the way."

"éponine," he repeated, as if he was trying it out for good use. "that's an unusual one. but very beautiful."

he dusted off his khaki shorts and rose, offering me his hand. i gratefully accepted it and he hoisted me up. "i'm enjolras."

"enjolras..." i affirmed. "that's unusual too, what does it mean?"

"it's my last name," he explained to me.

"ah." it had a nice ring to it. "anyways, i should go clean up. and i guess you better catch your friends."

enjolras laughed. "i'm sure they've already given up. i'm not too worried."

i smirked. "that's relieving," i mumbled. i took a step back and pointed behind me. "i guess i should probably go."

i turned around to continue my journey to my english classroom, until enjolras' voice interrupted my train of thought.

"hey, éponine?"

i stopped.

"the bathroom is the other way."