|| luck be a lady

time —> 2 months forward

éponine's pov

i try not to die of boredom in math class.

it's a few days before the first of three performances. and if the stress of that isn't enough, i have two projects due by next friday. but that isn't as important.

and i still have to kiss enjolras. twice. six times altogether. we manage to find a way out of it every time.

rehearsals have been tough, too. i have to slap him, and although he deserves a good slap to the face, the noise sends chills down my spine.

i can hear the ticking of my watch and the rumble of my stomach as i sit through the drowning silence of test taking.

lunch is only five minutes away.

i doodle a detailed smiley face in the margins of my test paper. i put a big circle around c for the last question. i erase my name and write it neater. by the time i've finished stalling, the bell rings and the classes pour out of the rooms and into the halls.

i dart to catch up to enjolras.

"hey," i grin, poking him in the shoulder to grab his attention.

"hey, pony," he smirks.

i roll my eyes. "how long did it take you to come up with that one?"

his gaze shifts as he fakes a smile. "the entire class period."

"nice," i laugh.

we enter the cafeteria. i patiently wait in line while he takes a seat at les amis' table. eventually, two of his friends- the wild one he's always with the black curls, and that dorky curly haired brunette one- join him, and by the time i'm in the lunchroom, the table is filled with the group. there's a seat next to musichetta reserved for me.

i slide into the spot between her and combeferre. i enjoy talking to 'ferre. he's pretty relaxed, and i like to think of myself as pretty relaxed, as well.

"hey, 'ferre," i say as i take my seat.

"afternoon, éponine," combeferre responds. his eyes don't stray from his sandwich. i find it a little concerning, but maybe he just doesn't like talking to me.

"how are your lines coming along?" i ask him.

he shrugs. "mediocre. i think i'll have them perfected tomorrow."

"that's good," i grin. "you'll be an excellent brannigan."

"and you, éponine, will be a wonderful miss sarah." combeferre actually looks at me this time, and smiles. he takes a cheery bite of his sandwich before beginning a conversation with feuilly.

"boys, what can you do," musichetta sighs. "one moment you're in conversation and the next he's off talking to someone else!"

i blink, my eyes traveling to enjolras, who's talking effortlessly to grantaire.

"i couldn't have said it better."

lunch, though i was looking forward to it, has proved itself to be rather boring.

-

i carefully examined the costumes in the girl's dressing room. as cosette slinked around in her tight blue dress and hot box girls scattered around me in their ridiculous boas, i slid on the red mission band outfit. it was a maroon jacket and skirt. i also had the havana dress, which i liked a little more.