|| debating

pov: éponine

i'm extremely relieved when the final bell chimes, indicating the final hour i have to spend in this miserable school. it was only my first day at musain, but i didn't wish to return.

cosette. the girl with the piercing blue eyes, and the perfect blonde curls. i despise her. she has everybody wrapped around her finger and it's sickening.

i was standing at my locker when i heard a voice from the one beside of me. "i heard about your run-in with the queen."

i didn't recognize the voice until i spun around to meet enjolras standing next to me.

"what are you doing here? i mean, yeah, we had a conversation today! but you don't need to... stalk me!"

"no need to get defensive," he chuckles. enjolras messes with the lock until the metal door flies open. "this is my locker, genius."

i rolled my eyes. "okay. but why does my run-in require your interrogation?"

"that's not what i was going for. i was just hoping you would say, 'yes, i ran into her. she sucks. goodbye,' and we would leave it at that." an enigmatic smile fluttered across his face. "but if you wish to argue, then you may."

"do you enjoy arguing?" i query, raising an eyebrow.

he shakes his head. "no, i prefer debating."

i turn back to my locker. "they're the same thing, enjolras." i spin around on my heel to tread towards the door, but he rushes ahead of me and gets in my way.

"i would love to agree, but arguing and debating are very different. arguing is just bickering over little things in a heated manner. debating, however, is much more organized and formal."

i shrug, swerving to avoid him. "arguing can be formal."

"if it was, then it'd be called debating."

i laugh, making my way outside.

"see you tomorrow, enjolras," i say without even thinking about it.

i don't want to come back here, yet at the same time, i wish that it was already tomorrow.